Monday, January 3, 2022

Babysitting Blitz

First of all, my heartfelt thanks for the friends that reached out to congratulate me on retirement. It was unexpected but warmly received. My Favorite Panamanian are I are back from a quick trip up to New Hampshire to provide babysitting service for the BRS and BR3. It’s one of those situations where we would offer to pay the parents for the opportunity but so far they haven’t charged us. One of the gifts my Favorite Son and the ABFA shared with each other was a morning long spa session which the kids were pointedly not invited to. Therein lies the requirement for grandparent insertion into the situation. We journeyed up Saturday afternoon after a day long effort to overcome New Years’ Eve exertions (Okay, that was mostly me).

BR3 Showing Grandpa her Selfie Game
The grandkids were delighted to see us again, so soon after the memorable Christmas events. I don’t think they understood our need to spend time with them since it will be April before we can hug them again. The BRS wanted to demonstrate her newest acquisition, a mobile microphone set. I laughed when I saw it, as noise making gifts are an inside joke within the family starting when Great Aunt gifted a play pistol to my son back in the day which sounded just like a police siren. Of course, he made full use of it on the drive back to Northern Virginia, causing minor heart attacks in the driver seat thinking I was being pulled over (not that I don’t stringently obey speed limits). The funniest thing about the BRS sound system was it came from her parents. I laughed as I told my son that they had done it to themselves. He pointedly gestured towards the ABFA.

BRS Broadcasting

Designated Hiding Place

Abuela Hugs
The grandkids were great for us Sunday morning. BR3 had a midnight regurgitation event but that probably had more to do with the liquid soap she drank than any malady. She’s developed a very cute selfie behavior, demonstrated by the accompanying photos. They both continued their energy vampiric ways as they seemed to get busier as their grandparents’ vigor were sapped. We had a great time with them although the morning did seem to pass slowly as we awaited the parental return. They eventually did, greatly refreshed from their spa treatments. We then settled in to watch a very enjoyable Patriots’ game together as the Pats re-emerged from a recent funk with an absolute shellacking of a terrible Jacksonville team. It was tough to depart and we performed our traditional twice around the cul de sac with horn blaring that the grandkids seem to enjoy as they wave from the front door. I think my son‘s neighbors hate us.

BR3 In Search of Targets

Selfie Time


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment