Thursday, January 27, 2022

Date Night Revival

Okay, I’ve been away from Frail Deeds for a couple days. I know all you frozen New Englanders have been missing my daily recitation of just how beautiful life on a tropical beach paradise can be and yes, I know all about the potent nor-easter bearing down on you for Saturday. (honestly, I do feel bad about that) I had to tear myself away, actually under orders from my Favorite Panamanian, to make a supply run back to David. We were out of beer so it was a mission critical situation. We also needed some food, I think. It was weird as this was the first time in a couple weeks that I wore shoes and long pants. I missed the beach almost immediately. The evening before we left, the local pelicans put on a stunning aerial display. I see them every day, mostly cruising in large lines along the top of the surf. They must have finally spotted a school of fish because they were dive bombing into the water between waves. It was pretty cool.

Favorite Panamanian and I on our Beach Walk This Morning

Hard to See Photos of Pelican Dive Bombing Campaign



We used the opportunity of our return to my wife’s hometown to rejuvenate our Tuesday date night tradition by going to a movie while in David. We went to a brand-new theater in a recently opened massive shopping mall (yes, they still have them down here). The movie was godawful but the theater was a delight and not just because we qualified for senior citizen tickets of $2.25 apiece. Everything was top notch (except the movie – reviewed below) and the seats were more comfortable than back home in Worcester. They had all the same Covid protocols that we have to follow there as well. Before the movie, we took my mother-in-law and my wife’s twin sister out for lunch at a new (for me) restaurant I had driven by on my last visit. It was called “Beef” so there is no need to explain the attraction.

Wife and her Mom Amidst the Bougainvilleas

The Bird
We followed that with a trip up to the picturesque mountain town of Boquete. The stated reason was to secure Italian ice cream but my wife was also in search of a turkey to follow the tradition of creating our normal Christmas dinner here for her family. We thought we would get lucky in Boquete since there is a large population of ex-pat Americans living there. We were a day late as the store managers said all the turkeys had been sent back, literary the day before. It was still a nice ride up into the mountains. I was inveigled into a stop on the way back at a plant and flower vendor. 
My Favorite Panamanian has a plan to plant three bamboo plants in pots on our balcony to soak up some the worst afternoon sun since it interferes with her afternoon telenovela watching. We didn’t find the bamboo plants but she is totally incapable of walking by bougainvillea plants. I consider these thorn ridden plants as my personal nemeses back home. She has three large ones that invariably end up pricking me whenever I walk within range. My wife narrowed it down to two of the beastly things and asked me which I preferred. My answer of “neither” was noted but ignored. The damned thing pricked me all the way back to the beach from its back seat perch. I also saw a dramatic bird flitting through the store, it was solid black with a striking red band . The picture I was able to get doesn’t do it justice. Panama ends up being the winter home for many migrating birds and this was probably an example because I’d never seen the like before.

We returned late yesterday afternoon to find blood on the kitchen floor. That was an unnecessarily dramatic way of saying our freezer door had popped open and the hamburger in the door had thawed and bled out. My wife was convinced the freezer had failed but I noted it was still working and that if you’re not careful when you close the refrigerator door the freezer door pops open. Apparently this happened as we were leaving the day before and the freezer was open to tropical temps for more than 24 hours. We closed the door and prayed (okay that was mostly her) and after a couple hours things were freezing again. I was treated to a truly spectacular sunset while my Favorite Panamanian went to church in nearby Las Lajas (we hadn’t confirmed the freezer was really working yet).

Sunset Last Night











Seen from the Pool


This morning the buzzards had stolen another fish carcass from one of the sea eagles directly in front of the condo. The eagle seemed to making his case to the deaf ears of the vulture. My Favorite Panamanian joined me for the morning beach walk to insure I received my daily ribbing about the mystery woman I wrote about last week. The walk was wildlife laden. We came upon a pack of five stray dogs. They looked to be having the time of their lives cavorting in the waves. They were friendly enough but quickly passed us by when they figured out we had no food to give them.

Buzzards and Eagle

Beach This Morning


The Dog Pack


On the way back we came upon one of the ubiquitous beach birds sitting on the beach. We knew something was off when he didn’t fly away upon our approach. We stopped and my wife immediately went into her hypersensitive mode, concocting all kinds of scenarios on how the bird ended up there. I got a good look at him and said he was just old and tired. She wanted to pick him up but I intervened saying picking up a potentially sick bird was an incredibly bad idea. She claimed the dog pack we passed by earlier would come back and eat him. While I thought that was exactly what was going to happen, I told her they had passed him by once and if they came back, he would probably find the strength to fly. For some unfathomable reason she listened to me and we don’t have a pet sea bird, although she did roundly counsel the flock of birds further down the beach for abandoning their elder.

The Sedentary Bird

The movie we saw was Vanguard by old friend Jackie Chan. Since we saw the movie in Panama all the Chinese logos were present including a lead in by the Chinese Communist Party. They also made several funny remarks such as suggesting a Captain America doll was actually a Captain China doll and Captain China could kick Captain America’s butt. As stated above, it was a Jackie Chan movie so I didn’t go in expecting Shakespeare. It was dubbed in Spanish and Jackie was equally eloquent in Spanish as he is in English. It was nice adventure yarn surrounding a Chinese businessman protected by Jackie’s security agency who run afoul of an Arab terrorist network. There was some really bad CGI but awesome action scenes featuring the new generation of Chinese martial art actors. I found myself pulled in, what can I say, I’m a fan. Jackie in deference to his advanced years, left most of the action to the youngsters but did get in a couple fights himself, although shot from a comfortable distance. I’ve always appreciated Chan’s self-depreciating humor. There was a very funny scene when the youngsters jumped off a balcony in pursuit of the bad guys; Jackie runs up as if to follow them and then, with a smirk to the cameras, went in search of the nearest escalator. A lot of fun but inch deep in anything outside of the fight scenes.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment