Thursday, July 9, 2020

Wall Loves


Anybody who spends a few years in the Army ends up with what is colloquially called an “I Love Me” wall. Whenever you leave an assignment you are inevitably gifted with a memento of the time spent there by the people you are leaving behind. I am no exception and my current office is festooned with a number of these plaques, photos, diplomas, etc., etc. There is considerably more debris dwelling in the nether regions of the basement in long term storage.
I bring this up because in a couple weeks all of this paraphernalia will start migrating home with my upcoming retirement. These photos show my current office which I will vacate on 31 July. I have it on good authority (my Favorite Panamanian’s) that none of this “stuff” will be allowed on the walls of the house, something about being hideously unstylish. Or words to that effect. Not to fret though, I have a sanctuary, a non-spousal controlled space, where I am free to display my absolute lack of panache and good taste. I am, of course, speaking about my Man Cave.

It will be a tight fit but I’m actually excited about what the place will look like after I finish hanging all this nonsense on the walls down there. This stuff has followed me around for decades and I actually enjoy seeing them to remember the people associated with the different places I’ve hung my hat over the past half-century (now that is scary). I’m sure my final display will have some scathing critique from my wife but the sacrosanct status of the Man Cave is something she agreed to when we bought the house. This is going to be fun.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment