Friday, July 24, 2020

Birthday Thunder Run


There are a few things in life that brings an automatic smile to my face. The opportunity to hang out with my Favorite Son certainly falls into that category, especially when it means celebrating his birthday which takes place this weekend. My Favorite Panamanian and I are headed north into New Hampshire to help celebrate with him. There is of course, the extremely nice added benefit of also spending time with the ABFA and both resident granddaughters. I was touched when we asked him what he wanted to do for this birthday and he invited us up for the weekend. We’ll watch the Red Sox opening series of the year, burn some dead animal flesh, watch some movies, eat some sword cleaved cake, and I’m guessing some beer will end up downrange. Now that sounds like a marvelous weekend.
The Birthday Boy - A Few Birthdays Ago
It is so weird that tonight is opening night for the Red Sox season but it’s a 2020 thing in Pandemia. The Red Sox are lucking out that it will only be a 60-game season because they will not be competitive this year and it will keep the pain at tolerable levels. Hopefully they can figure out their starting pitching before next year. I’ll still slavishly watch as many games as I can. This is Red Sox Nation.
It's a 2020 Thing

The FBR Helped Make Homemade Popsicles
I was running around doing some medical stuff last evening so I missed out on the granddaughter FaceTime calls. That hurt more than I can describe. I did get to see the FBR briefly as she was heading up for bedtime but that was a poor substitute for our usual conversations. She’s started calling us at breakfast time as well which makes getting ready for work a little time challenged but there is no better way to start the day then listening to a granddaughter.
Hanging in her New Playground

Playing Cards with Pee Wee the Cat
I send out a daily information email to my employees that I call the “Info Blast”. Since I’ll be leaving in one week I’m turning the responsibility for that over to my successor on Monday which made today’s my last Info Blast, something I’ve been doing daily for over four years. I sent this message to employees – “This is my final Info Blast. XXXX XXXXXX will take over the blast on Monday in preparation for replacing me as GM on 1 August. I want to thank all of the employees for making this post military job so rewarding. It’s been a true honor and privilege to work with you over the past 15 years. I know some people will be very happy to see me leave but I always felt I had to hold bad behavior accountable. I ascribe to the philosophy if poor employees aren’t held accountable then you lose the good employees. I know that runs counter to the union philosophy but in the end I honestly believe the entire organization benefits from it as the vast majority of employees are the ones I was trying to take care of. I will remain a resident of Worcester for most of the year and will always feel a connection when I see one of the blue vehicles pass by me. I won’t be able to see all of you prior to my departure but thank you to all for teaching me how to work with civilians again, it’s been a great ride. Take pride in your profession and yourself.” I’ve already received a bunch of return emails from employees thanking me so I guess the good ones did get it.Those messages meant more to me than any plaque.
Latest Besson Watch
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment