Thursday, July 2, 2020

Gift Flagging


The most enduring gift I‘ve received in life are my children and most definitely their children. The FBR blazed the trail in that department. We’ve shared a special relationship since our first meeting in L.A. more than four years ago. I wasn’t sure I’d feel the same bump that I had when I first saw my daughter and son but it was definitely there. The same for the next two to arrive, the BRS and BR3.
The Moment
In 2015 I was sitting on the couch next to Wingman as he held the one-week old FBR shortly after I met her. I reached over and the FBR grabbed my finger in her miniscule hand and would not let go. We’ve been good buds ever since. The FBR is old enough now that I can tell her how much fun it was meeting her for that first time. She has a penchant to immediately want to see what I’m talking about, be it puzzles or chipmunks in the back yard. I related my memory of our first meeting and she wanted to see a picture of it. Fortunately, someone did capture a picture of a moment I will cherish for as long as I have left on this good earth.
Inbound
Since this is, somehow, July I now have less than a month left in the employment pool. I’ve had a couple false alarms on that front over the past couple years, something my family will attest to. They even combined to buy me a 4K smart TV as a retirement gift back in November. This time it looks like it will stick. I asked my wife if it was too late for one last retirement gift and she readily agreed so I will realize a long held dream of having my own flag pole. I know it sounds silly but despite all its current warts I deeply love this country and always wanted to fly the flag in front of my house. I also have an Army flag that I found as I started cleaning out my office. I should have the flagpole within the week. It will be fun setting it up as concrete will be involved. Predictably my wife plans to add to her vast garden complex with a small garden around the base.
Latest Nolan Movie Watch
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment