Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Memory Banks

That’s a very discerning title because memories really are a treasure to be guarded and savored; at least the good ones, I hasten to add. My wife was searching for a specific color thread in the sewing supplies she has stored in the basement last night. While doing so we ran across a packet of photos which brought back some great memories. For those of you under thirty we used to have to send film from actual cameras away to get developed. This resulted in large caches of photos accumulating over the years. I know it’s so much easier with hyper-smart phones but I still think we lost something when we no longer received these packets.
The Original Panamanian Mafia
But I digress, you’re welcome. One photo showed a gathering of the first Panamanian Mafia. It was myself and two other Soldiers who had each married Panamanian ladies. We were all assigned to the Army War College at the same time and these quickly found each other and the partying started soon after. One had been assigned to the largest student quarters available in Carlisle, called the farmhouse, and for the year we were there that was the site of constant get togethers and the aforementioned partying. Those parties are my fondest memories of our time there and I feel bad that we’ve kind of lost touch over the years. We were a close knit bunch and I count each of them as some of the finest people I met in my long military career. The other two settled in Florida post retirement as their Panamanians were luckier (more persuasive) than mine since I dragged her to these chilly northern climes. I miss hanging out with them.
With my War College Buddies

Wife with Mindy, Skyla and Estrella
Notice Dogs Keeping a Respectful Distance from Devil Cat

Her Brother's Birthday - So Silly Face

Estrella Wanted in, We think This was 2001

Wife with Skyla in our Virginia Home

Hanging with the Girls in Virginia

As a Major, En-route from Hawaii to Egypt
Showing a Couple Lieutenants Around DC
The other photos showed some great scenes with our beloved, but now departed golden retrievers, Skyla and Estrella as well as the accursed Mindy the Cat. The FBR now boasts quite a repertoire of silly facial expressions which the photos below demonstrate she came by honestly since her mother was also adept. It was jarring to see them so young again. I’ve annotated each with a small explanation.
BRS Modeling a Gift
In a major Covid development the YMCA re-opened this week and this morning I was back in the pool for the first time in months. My arms felt like lead weights after only a couple laps but by the end of the workout it was starting to feel normal again. I had to run a true gamut of Covid related requirements beforehand. I had to make a reservation two days ahead of time which was problematic since someone had assigned my email login to another guy with the same name. Once I arrived I had to check in, get my temperature taken, wash my hands twice, and then find the pool. Since they closed the locker rooms I had to take an arcane path through the bowels of the building until I followed the scent of chlorine to my destination. My tasks were not over yet. The lifeguard wanted to see my reservation and then sent me to a family locker room for a pre-swim shower (that was kind of weird). I’ve never showered with strange women before. I’m not saying I’m against it though. I probably would have been more miffed but the lifeguard was very cute and it did make me feel like they were going the extra mile to keep everyone safe.
A Castle for the Princess

That Smile!!!

Devastating
The granddaughters are in fine shape. The ABFA sent a video of BR3 where she smiles. I’d never seen that before from BR3 and she has a megawatt smile that seemed to light up the room (and melt my heart). She and the BRS had just received some gifts from Great Aunt and Soxfather, including a pink princess castle which my Favorite Son looked just thrilled with.
4th Generation Book Worm - FBR
The FBR continued her talkative streak this week. She even added an early morning breakfast call that really touched my soul. We conspired together to go upstairs and wake up her abuela. The FBR has been a real hero during the quarantine behaving really well. She gets a star if she deports herself well for the whole day and a movie night on Friday if she gets five stars in a row. Last night she noted that abuela got cross with me at times and then innocently asked abuela, “Did Grampa not get a star today?” When we both stopped laughing I had to confess that she was doing much better in the star department than I was.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment