Monday, July 20, 2020

Time Long Sought

Truly oppressive heat descended on New England over the weekend but that didn’t stop certain planned activities. I completed yet another retaining wall for my wife’s vast garden complex. The New Jersey tree which was transplanted from the front yard after we thought it was dead has rejuvenated itself on the back-yard hill so I created a small retaining wall semi-circle to keep the dirt in place. The big event however was the long sought after return to my hometown to hang out with high school buddies.
Saturday Afternoon
This was supposed to be one of the planned retirement parties, well semi-retirement now, I guess. It had to be scaled way back to meet my Favorite Panamanian’s strict pandemic control measures. We gathered outside of the Keene Friend’s house with the Cantankerous One and my first friend ever. He and I both went to kindergarten together which we could see over the tops of the houses on the other side of the street from where we were sitting. We eventually had to decamp to the rear of house to find some much needed shade. My old friend brought his dog who was a virtual doppelganger for Buddy the Wonder Pooch; a black lab with a white chest.
My Newest Friend
He reminded me so much of Buddy that it made the afternoon even more special. My Favorite Panamanian had left us to our own devices after insuring we would remain socially distanced. In what is truly a remarkable statistic this marked the first time in more than six months that my wife actually entered a store to do some shopping. Thoughts that boggle the mind, indeed. We made the obligatory semi-inebriated call to Pittsburgh College Roommate so he could join our weighty discussion on world affairs. Cantankerous Friend has lost nothing off his sarcastic fastball and the pandemic has turned him into a serious bike rider, averaging sixty miles a day.
Pizza on the Front Porch

With Keene Friend 2
Kindergarten friend had to return home for grandpa duties while my Favorite Panamanian was enticed out of shopping for some promised pizza. Keene Friend 2 showed up as the sun had set enough to move the festivities to the front porch. It was a great day and I realized just how much I’d missed spending time with these old friends. I’m convinced the company of good friends has a medicinal quality that cannot be underestimated. The rest of the weekend saw extended Man Cave time to escape the ravages of the heat and humidity. I knocked out my next Besson film, Kiss of the Dragon as well as made progress on a newly acquired puzzle. The FBR closely monitors my progress and I feel guilty if I can’t show her some.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment