Saturday, July 4, 2020

Friday Cake


A strange Friday in that it seemed more like a Saturday but that impression was brought crashing down when the appointed hour arrived and I adjourned to Deckzilla, tapped a Coors Lite, and fired up the iPad. That commenced what has become one of the few welcome developments of the pandemic – the weekly family First Friday group Facetime call. The FBR came charging over to participate but crashed and burned when she arrived at the chair. She’s tough though and quickly recovered to dominate the call for most of its duration. She likes having an audience.
FBR Made a Great Aunt Inspired Cake
Just Like her Mom and Uncle So Many Years Ago in Cranston
The BRS on the other hand played coy as my son charged around his house trying to get her into the picture frame. I felt like I was watching a re-run of the Blair Witch Project as we caught fleeting glimpses of her as she rounded corners trying to elude her dad. She eventually holed up in the master bedroom closet and my son convinced her to come out with a promise of pizza. Speaking of pizza, Wingman rarely participates now as he has become a dedicated homemade pizza maker, complete with professional level pizza extraction tools.
Latest Nolan Watch
My Favorite Panamanian and I really look forward to these Friday interludes as we get to at least proximate the fun when the various family members are together with the easy banter and inside jokes that are inevitable in a close family. Earlier in the day I made a laughable mistake when treating my wife to a lunch via the 99 restaurant. I went online to make the curbside pick-up order. I showed up at the local 99 where they looked at me cross eyed and said they had no active online orders. I went back home and checked my email to discover I had ordered the meal at the 99 in central Worcester versus the one closest to us. On the upside both 99s I visited were open for inside dining and had outdoor dining areas active. I still felt like a complete dumbass.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment