Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Importance Re-Defined


I received a very nice surprise yesterday when I was eating my lunch. My Favorite Panamanian called to say the FBR really wanted to talk with me and asked if I could FaceTime with her. I put down my lunch time read and immediately contacted my precocious young granddaughter. She and Wingman were enjoying their own lunch and my heart did its usual beat skip when the FBR was so happy to see me. She’s turning into quite the conversationalist.
The Re-Definer
Over the course of our lunch time talk we somehow got onto the subject of my military career. I think I said, “When I was in the Army” as a way of explaining all the different places I’d lived. She innocently asked “What’s the Army?” and as I tried to explain that to her she asked, “What’s a Soldier?”. I did my limited best to describe that in age appropriate terms. I finished by saying Soldiers are responsible for protecting the country. She considered that for a beat and then said, “It sounds very important”.  I think at that moment my military career meant more to me that at any other time. Out of the mouths of babes. Indeed.
One of my Favorite Pictures
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment