Thursday, March 26, 2020

Viral Decision-making

This time in our collective experience will be interesting to look back on in a few years. It’s certainly nothing like the world has seen since the 1918 flu epidemic and for once I’m not that glad to experience something so historic. My mother must be resting easier knowing that I’m finally washing my hands as regularly and energetically as she always wanted me to. A week or so ago my customer came to my office and requested I think about delaying my scheduled May retirement because of the crisis.
BRS at Entry to her Fort
I was genuinely touched that he thought so well of me. He didn’t want a quick answer and I knew I had to discuss this with my Favorite Panamanian. You see, I have learned something over 38 years of marriage. She doesn’t like the idea of me coming in to work during the crisis but she also understood my inclination to stay on to see the company through the crisis. I told the customer today I would delay my retirement until we were on the other side of this situation.
Why I Love Worcester
Today's Headline
I feel it hypocritical of me to encourage my employees to still come in to work while knowing I would be punching out in what looks like will be the worst part of it. It felt too much like sneaking off a sinking ship. It’s not all altruistic. It’s not as if there’s anything to do outside the house right now but in a larger sense I feel honor bound to continue working until everything is a lot calmer. I guess the Army kind of ruined me in that regard. Interestingly it was exactly 42 years ago this week that I first put on the uniform that would come to define my adult life. I had no clue at the time.
The Fort Complex

As evidenced by the pictures it was fort building time in granddaughter land yesterday. The BRS coaxed her dad into putting his engineering degree to work at home yesterday with an extensive array. The FBR in New Jersey was very talkative last night until my wife recommended she should share some of her cake with her mother. The FBR went into silent mode and engaged in what I can only describe as panic eating to insure all of frosted part of her cake went into her mouth. It was too funny. They are a little bit on pins and needles as one of their best friends/neighbors recently tested positive and they’re almost at the two week mark from their last contact with him. Luckily the friend and his family seem to be on the mend.
Watching Frozen 2 for the 87th Time 
Marvel Progress
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – inbound granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment