Wednesday, March 4, 2020

First Day Alligator Fights


There’s that old Army saying about being up to your butt in alligators which would be an accurate description of my first day back at work after two weeks in paradise with my Favorite Panamanian. There was work (duh) but also grocery shopping, cooking, and the stack of bills that had accumulated. I thought I’d addressed most of these before I left but the damned things are like cockroaches and keep reappearing. Most of the people in the office commented about my lack of tan after two weeks on the tropical beach. I retained my title as the “whitest man in Panama” through liberal applications of sun block that reached into triple figures in terms of SPF. This was in accordance with the dermatologist’s admonitions after my latest Mohs surgery as well as the sun block Nazi – my wife.
The Whitest Man in Panama After Two Week in Tropical Sun
In the midst of digging out of the pile of paperwork awaiting me at the desk I received a call from the microwave dudes. Our over the stove microwave died an ignominious death a few weeks ago and the replacement was now ready to install. I rushed home for lunch and the guys had in installed within ten minutes. This was helpful since I needed it to defrost my lunch before returning to work.
The New Wave
The nearby construction of the new home for the AAA affiliate for the Red Sox is really ramping up. I can see the construction cranes from my office building and they’ve excavated the hole for the playing field and have started pouring concrete for the stands. This is going to be exceedingly cool. I may even take one of the buses to the games next year when it opens. The tan building at the top of the drawing next to the railroad tracks is where the bus hub is located. Of course, I’ll be retired and have to pay for it!

I was, of course, back at the movies last night on dateless date night to see The Invisible Man. This is a very, very good movie. It doesn’t go for cheap thrills and the tension is almost non-stop. It’s not as if she needs one after Mad Men and The Handmaid’s Tale but this also serves as a coming out party for Elizabeth Moss. She dominates in the lead role as a long suffering girlfriend of a crazed, abusive scientist. She finally escapes only to have her supposedly dead ex starting to haunt her in his cleverly designed invisible mode. A lesser actress would have been more of a victim but Moss raises the game above the mundane. I actually laughed out loud at the very satisfying climatic scenes which was really a release of the tautness I’d held since the start. This is the best movie I’ve seen so far this year.
Now we get to the worst movie I’ve seen this year which is saying a lot since I didn’t see Cats until 2020. It’s taken a lot of roles and a wide range of characters but Michael Pena has finally made a bad movie in Fantasy Island. It’s not really his fault because even he is incapable of lifting the movie out of the morass the plot inflicts on you. There’s no point in having twists just for the sake of having twists and the entire project comes across as contrived and rushed. Do not waste your time with this which is a shame because this could have been a lot of campy fun.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – inbound granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment