Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Silver Linings

So the governor sent everyone home yesterday except for what he deemed essential businesses. Much to my wife’s disappointment transit falls into that essential category. I’ve experienced a wide range of reactions at work and I’m constantly reminded I now work with civilians. It’s at times like this that you learn a lot about the people surrounding you. I’ve actually had people saying they are too scared to work but still want to be paid while others want to profit from the crisis. On the other end of the spectrum are the ones who realize that many of our customers depend on our service and are willing to work. It’s a tough adjustment for me, having spent most of my adult life in the military. The culture in the Army when times are tough you are expected to step up even further. I remember catching a bus into the still burning Pentagon on 9/12 when all civilian businesses were closed – the bus was packed with a very determined pack of fellow service members. There were hundreds of other less serious situations during my Army career when you knew you could count on the guy or gal next to you to step up when challenging situations arose. Like I said though, I now work with civilians. It is an entirely different kettle of pescadores.
BRS & Her Buddy Riggins
If there is an upside to this I witnessed it in talking with my granddaughters. They are thriving by getting to spend their entire days with their parents now. It is the happiest I’ve seen them in our nightly FaceTime calls. The parents also look happier and who wouldn’t; getting to spend all this time with these two young ladies has to be uplifting during these dark times. Of course, it is very easy for a grandparent to say this without entering the calculus of dealing with the full spectrum of a housebound 2 and 4 year old. Still, they all seemed very happy.
BRS Atop a Tower Prior to Destruction
Methinks the Legomaster - Her Dad Was Creating
The BRS was having a good time with her dad when we called while the ABFA worked from home upstairs. The BRS spent a lot of the call perched on top of Riggins who was a very good sport. It is cool to see the bonding that is inevitable with a dog. She would only leave her perch to throw herself bodily at my son. Near the end of the call the ABFA finished her work and was greeted with a spectacular welcome by the BRS. Of these small things is life made worthwhile.
FBR With her Cake
Meanwhile in the Garden State the FBR was proudly proclaiming the successful baking of an apple cake with her mother. My daughter had a bunch of apples that were about to go bad so she teamed up with the FBR to create an apple cake. The FBR promised to save a couple pieces for her grandparents. Again, this is the most talkative the FBR has been in a while during our calls. It could be the return of her abuela to the calls but I think it has more to do with spending the day with Wingman and my daughter instead of a daycare classroom.
BRS Also Helping in Kitchen

When Not Hanging with Riggins
Progress Through the Marvel Universe
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BR3 – inbound granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment