Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Quarantine Friend Zoned


I knew once my Favorite Panamanian returned that virus threatcon levels at home would skyrocket. For maybe the first time in our marriage I was able to correctly predict my wife’s behavior. Returning home from work yesterday I was immediately ordered to remove all my clothes before walking into the house from the garage. In more sane times this might have led to something more entertaining but that sadly not the case. Our laundry room is right next to the entry hall from the garage and I was instructed to drop my clothes there before being sent upstairs for a decontamination shower. This is the new reality.
The Obligatory Welcome Home Snow Storm

Luckily I Hadn't Put Snow Blower Away for the Summer
Still, it is such a relief to have her back under the same roof even if at appropriate social distances. I was a lot lonelier than I was willing to admit to myself. Mother Nature also heard about her return and deposited 4 inches of snow as a welcome back; more than we’ve had in a couple months. This has become something of a ritual on the date of her return over the past couple years. It was also why she delayed her homecoming this year until later in April although that return date was another victim of the virus. She is making her way through all the TV shows I DVRed for her while she was away while I continue my march through the Marvel universe. Last night in the Man Cave I finished up through the Age of Ultron.

Both granddaughters were exceptionally pleased to have their abuela on the nightly Facetime call again which led me to question my own entertainment value. The BRS was hysterical as she put her newly acquired vocal skills to work. She was trying to ransack a kitchen cabinet when my son came upon the scene to enforce the law. The BRS blithely said, “Daddy, Go Away!”. We then asked her to show us her new computer. She took off at a dead sprint to her play area where she pulled out a laptop and mouse. She expertly put them into operation on her trampoline. My son revealed this used to be the ABFA’s personal computer but the BRS had seized it in some sort of eminent domain as only a two year is capable of. The BRS topped off the call by clearly saying “abuela” for the first time which made a certain Panamanian extremely happy.
The FBR was also in fine form last night. She told her mother she didn’t want to talk until she heard my wife was back. That changed the whole equation and again – led to severe self-questioning. The FBR regaled us with her quarantine exploits and revealed previously unknown plans for traveling to our house next week to visit us. Her parents had no idea this was going to happen (it isn’t). Her parents did say that the FBR has been a model citizen during these dark times, being an extremely good girl. This does not surprise me in the least. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – inbound granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment