Friday, March 6, 2020

Final Solo Anniversary


Today marks 38 years from the day an absolutely gorgeous young Panamanian lady walked down the aisle to join a very nervous Second Lieutenant in holy matrimony. It seems somehow impossible that 38 years have passed since that day but the advantage of getting older is being able to evaluate just how lucky I’ve been to have joined with the gal with the incredible flashing eyes. For the past decade this date usually falls, as it does this year, with us being several thousand miles apart. She flies south for the winter to spend time with her mother while I have to go to work.
My Lady
I say this is the final solo anniversary because with my retirement we’ll be together for all future iterations, at least that’s the plan. I still marvel at the young lady I married for her courage in leaving her family behind all those years ago and traveling with me to a country and culture that was utterly foreign to her. She first arrived in the US speaking no English with a new born baby and a husband who spent a lot of time running around in the woods, sometimes for several months at a time, with his well-armed friends. They say the Army wife has the toughest job in the Army and that is no exaggeration. Instead of being intimidated, she thrived and became a stalwart source of support throughout my quarter century in the Army and for every day since then. I’m a very lucky guy.
What Future Anniversaries Should Look Like

We did an admirable job of celebrating the anniversary when we were together the past two weeks in Panama. It provided an interesting glimpse into the future and I couldn’t be happier at that prospect. Every time I see her there’s still that spark those eyes have always engendered. The comfort of the steady flame of our marriage was first kindled in those eyes. Happy Anniversary mi amor.
BRS Getting Taller
I was able to speak with both granddaughters last night, although calling it speaking might be an exaggeration. The BRS was decisively involved with peeling a tangerine, a newly acquired talent. She couldn’t be bothered with interacting with anyone while this was undergoing. She had a doctor’s appointment yesterday where they documented her recent growth spurt despite her very “stranger-danger” reaction to the doctor himself.
And Stylish with the ABFA
The FBR only wanted to demonstrate her growing ability and wide variety of eye rolls she is perfecting. I was also witness with the placement of her star of the day which marks yet another well behaved day at pre-school. Her usual tripping point is nap time which she say she now endures awake but not bothering anybody else. So like her mother in that regard.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BR3 – inbound granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

1 comment: