Tuesday, March 17, 2020

St Patty Down


I have waxed semi-eloquently in the past here on Frail Deeds about the feats of legerdemain my fraternity brothers and I achieved on this date back in the day. We would start drinking green beer at 6am at Scorpio’s Pub and continue throughout the day culminating with a party in the frat house basement. This was all before I learned I was 34% Irish/Scottish/Welsh. One of my favorite pictures from that time is of my best buddy, his girlfriend and my girlfriend all grabbing an afternoon catnap literally on top of each other (fully clothed) with shamrocks painted on our faces. This is probably why my alma mater now schedules its spring break to fall over the St Patty’s Day holiday.
The BRS is Ready to Party
Deckzilla this Morning
This year’s holiday has been summarily executed by the damned virus. All the parades and bars have been closed, so, talk about a death knell. On top of that I woke up this morning to find snow coating the ground and that my local movie theater had suspended service. That hurt almost as much as the bars. On top of that today we learned Tom Brady will not be returning to the Patriots. I knew this was coming and I'm not upset. I feel incredibly fortuante to have been around to see his twenty year run. Good luck Sir Thomas! 
Thank You and Good Luck

My Failed Effort
As always you have to look for the silver lining in all aspects of life. The virus has taught me that I have no idea whatsoever how to cook turkey thighs. Those were the only thing available at the depleted grocery store and although I followed the online recipe I found to the letter, I failed miserably. Apparently the thighs were still frozen in the middle which affected the time I should have cooked them. I discovered this when I attempted my first bite into said thigh yesterday. The pink juice in the bottom of the dish should have clued me in.
I threw the remaining thighs back into the oven for more time last night and today’s was at least moderately edible. The virus has also broadened additional facets of my culinary life. The only hamburger available was specially packaged, Australian, grass fed, and without additives. After sampling last night I believe the additives must be delicious because this felt like munching on cardboard.
BRS Getting Garbed Up

Looks Like She has Been Partying Hard
The kids are handling their forced isolation well. My Favorite Son and ABFA have split up the work day with my son leaving for work very early and then returning so the ABFA can work from home from 1-8 each day. The one not working gets to squire the BRS around. It looks as if the BRS was in full St Patty’s Day party mode this morning so some of those fraternity genes may have leaked down a couple generations.
FBR Scootering Around Deserted Streets

FBR Morning Yoga
Wingman’s restaurant closed so he pulls the day duty with the FBR down in Jersey while my daughter works from home in her attic office space. They report having a really fun daddy daughter day yesterday involving scooter and kick ball. They’re off to another great start today with the FBR practicing yoga which would certainly make her abuela very proud.
Favorite Panamanian on the Beach

At Sunset
Speaking of that young lady my Favorite Panamanian continued hiding out from the virus with her mother and several PanaGals in our condo. If you were going to be quarantined I cannot think of a better place. The Panamanian president today officially closed all pools and public areas, including beaches. Next week all the grocery stores down there will close for a week and up to that point only fifty people at a time will be allowed in. My wife is traveling back to David today to hopefully re-stock. We did get our reupholstered couch delivered yesterday and it looks great. My wife said they really missed me when it came time to bring the couch up the three flights of stairs.
With The PanaGals

Sister and Cousin

Couch Back Where it Belongs in our Condo
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – inbound granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment