Thursday, December 28, 2017

The Year in Movies - 2017

I am an unashamed movie nut.  Every year at the end of December I pontificate on the best and worst from only the movies I saw during the concluding year. I’ve also included what I considered to be the worst movies of the year, because that’s almost more fun. I’ve chosen a quote from each of the top ten movies. If nothing else, the films below (except for the bottom two) were hugely enjoyable. Again this is only one man’s opinion and reflects only the movies I saw this year. I await the inevitable criticism from my progeny. I went into this thinking this had been a down year for movies, maybe I’ve just been distracted but as I compiled the list I found it harder and harder to get down to just ten, the toughest for all the years I’ve been doing this. So despite my initial thoughts this was a very good year in movies. Maybe I’ve just become jaded or my journey through bad cinema for the past two months have numbed me to the good ones. At any rate – here it goes.

Best Movies of 2017
#10 – Guardians of the Galaxy 2 – sequels can be tough especially when the original was so much fun and innovative. Peter Quill is still a lot of fun to watch and the interplay with his band of misfits didn’t lose any of the edge or hilarity which makes them so watchable. Adding Kirk Russell is never a bad thing along with the killer raccoon and baby Groot edged out some tough competition to nab the final spot.

Quote:
Mantis: When I touch someone I can feel their feelings. [touches Quill's hand]
Mantis: You feel... love!
Peter Quill: Yeah, I guess - Yeah, I feel a general unselfish love for everyone.
Mantis: No. *Sexual* love...
Peter Quill: No. No, I don't.
Mantis: [points at Gamora] ... for her!
Peter Quill: No!
[Drax begins laughing hysterically]
Drax: She just told everyone you deepest, darkest secret!
[Drax continues laughing]
Peter Quill: Dude! Come on! I think you're reacting a little bit!
Drax: You must be so embarrassed!
[continues cracking up]
Drax: Do me! Do me! Do me!


#9 – Logan – A movie that surprised me in that it acknowledged the first generation of the X-Men had run their course. It allowed original stalwarts Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart to say goodbye to their characters in meaningful and heartfelt ways. It wasn’t all candy canes and unicorns either but gritty and a little bit crushing. The addition of a young girl with Logan’s abilities was a great idea as he’s forced to confront the loneliness that was so central to his character.

Quote:
Logan: Take your friends and run... They'll keep coming, and coming... You don't have to fight anymore.
Logan: Go... Don't be what they made you.
Logan: Laura.
Laura: [crying] Daddy.
Logan: [smiles] So... this is what it feels like.


#8 – Get Out – It’s hard to imagine a new twist on a horror movie but Get Out achieved that and was smart and funny throughout. It takes the class/race struggle and stands it on its head while somehow making a TSA agent the hero of the hour. The viewer has to figure out what’s happening as clues are dropped relentlessly and you spend the entire movie almost shouting at the main character to do what the title suggests.

Quote:
Chris Washington: How did you find me?
Rod Williams: [looks at him] I'm the T.S-motherfucking-A. We handle shit. That's what we do. Consider your situations, fuckin' handled.


#7 – Wind River – Another movie that surprised me with its depth.  Jeremy Renner steals the movie from Elizabeth Olsen as a father dealing with the death of his daughter who is called into the investigate the murder of a friend’s daughter. You could see in this in the middle of a heat wave and still be chilled to the bone. It reminded me a lot of CJ Box’ excellent series of books, a lot of heart on display.

Quote:
Cory Lambert: If you shy from the pain of it, then you rob yourself of every memory of her, my friend. Every one. From her first step to her last smile. You'll kill 'em all. Take the pain, Take the pain, Martin. It's the only way to keep her with you.


#6 – Bladerunner 2049 – Okay, so I must be the one guy that just loved this movie along with its long ago predecessor. Ridley Scott embraced the mythology of the original but told a pretty compelling story liberally layered with mystery and heart in its own right. Harrison Ford is specializing in taking conic roles from his early career and imbuing them with the years his character has endured. I loved it.

Quote:
Wallace: All the courage in the world cannot alter fact.


#5 – Lady Bird – I wouldn’t have seen this movie without my daughter’s recommendation and it turned out to be one of my favorites for the year. The two performances of a mother and a daughter confronting their way through the daughter’s senior year in high school rang so true and it’s a tribute to the two actors involved. It wasn’t easy to watch at times but it was fun throughout with a lot of sly humor inserted amongst the angst.

Quote:
Marion McPherson: I want you to be the very best version of yourself that you can be.
Christine 'Lady Bird' McPherson: What if this is the best version?


#4 – Dunkirk – I wondered what Nolan would do with this epic story that’s been largely ignored until recently. He did throw a few of his signature curveballs with a staggered and interwoven time line but that was fun after you figured it out. He paid tribute to all the right things about the heroism of that pivotal battle but also showed the very human costs involved. Truly epic.

Quote:
Blind Man: Well done lads. Well done.
Alex: All we did is survive.
Blind Man: That's enough.


#3 – 3 Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri – The biggest surprise of the year telling the story of a woman trying to shame the local police into solving her daughter’s murder. Frances McDormand must win another Oscar for her searing portrayal of a woman refusing to cow to society’s standards. This very dark comedy features fabulous performances from Woody Harrelson and especially Sam Rockwell as the targets of the mother’s wrath. Pain enough for everybody as this story ripps into the fabric of a Midwestern small town. Go see it for McDormand though.

Quote:
Mildred Hayes: So how's it all going in the nigger- torturing business, Dixon?
Dixon: It's 'Persons of color'-torturing business, these days, if you want to know. And I didn't torture nobody.


#2 – Star Wars: The Last Jedi – Okay, you knew the Star Wars movie would make it, especially one from the original story line. While this is Luke’s story it also adds flesh to the new cast of characters gracefully and in some cases heartbreaking ways. There are also some sit up and be shocked moments that have been missing since Luike first learned about her parents in The Empire Strikes Back. Best movie in the series since that one.

Quote:
Rose Tico: We're going to win this war not by fighting what we hate, but saving what we love!


#1 – Wonder Woman – Who knew Gal Gadot could actually emote! She dominates in the best movie of the year providing the beauty, depth, and physical presence the role calls for. She steals every scene she’s in even though they were set up that way. The action is almost non-stop which is difficult in an origin story but this marks one of the first times DC has figured out how to properly mine their treasures of comic book characters.

Quote:
Etta Candy: I'm introducing myself. It's Etta Candy. I'm Steve Trevor's secretary.
Diana Prince: What is a secretary?
Etta Candy: Oh, well, I do everything. I go where he tells me to go, I do what he tells me to do.
Diana Prince: Well, where I'm from that's called slavery.
Etta Candy: I really like her.

Honorable Mention (Last Cuts from Top Ten):

John Wick 2 – Keanu continues to wade through legions of bad guys for his violent response to being forced out of retirement. This works on a number of levels. 

Big Sick – A really funny and well written exploration of cross cultural romance, something I know a little bit about ( the cross cultural thing – not the writing). 

Atomic Blonde – Charlize dominates as a cold warrior who kills her way through Berlin as the wall is coming down. Lots of twists and turns but she owns this movie from the first minute. 

Hitman’s Bodyguard – Two master practitioners of the one liner face off as Samuel L Jackson and Ryan Reynolds match bullet for bullet in a very entertaining road picture. Lest I forget, the incomparable Salma is also along for the ride kicking butt with the big guys. 

Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planets – This would have easily made the top ten if the male lead had even an ounce of physical presence. This would have rivaled the 5th Element if they had cast anyone other than the candy ass that they did. Everything else worked. 

Man Who Invented Christmas – So much fun to see the beloved characters like Scrooge and Marley appear to haunt Charles Dickens as he composes a Christmas Carol.



Worst Movies of 2017

The Circle – I didn’t think it was possible to make a wretched movie featuring Tom Hanks but they did. They underused him (and made him a villain) while the movie collapsed when placed on the shoulders of Emma Watson. 

Snatched – Amy Schumer fails to follow up on the recent trend of successful female centric raunchy comedies. Just not very funny which is problematic for a comedy, Schumer’s time may be waning, even Goldie couldn’t help.

2017 Superlatives:
Best Comedy:  Hitman’s Bodyguard

Best Horror Movie:  Get Out

Best Drama:  Wind River

Best Romance:  Big Sick

Best Action:  John Wick 2

Best Special Effects:   War for Planet of the Apes


Best Scene of the Year (by far):  3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri when the police chief coughs up blood and McDormand’s steely façade vanishes for just an instance as basic human decency inserts itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment