Thursday, December 21, 2017

Light Shorted

So, Lemons Are Pretty Sour
Today is the shortest day of the year which I think is awesome because it means that it only gets better from here. Of course it means we still have to get through the whole winter thing enroute but focusing on the positive we’ll have more sunlight to do it in. It’s easy to be optimistic with my favorite day of the year bearing down on me. We finally caught up with the FBR last night. We caught the new Jersey contingent eating dinner out and I noted the FBR seems to be completely at ease in that environment. It seems every time we see her she grows up a little – patently unfair but inexorable.
We also spoke with the Favorite Son and ABFA to confirm Christmas logistics with our holiday hosts. The ABFA reported the BRS is inducing swollen feet which is not a completely welcome development. She still looks radiant. Riggins looked on with his usual disdain because his “masters” were conversing with us instead of providing the requisite attention to him. If he only knew how much his life is about to change. Speaking of golden retrievers my daughter sent us the photo below saying it reminded her of our departed pets Skyla and Estrella. Estrella, our white colored dog, worshipped Skyla and I’m convinced died three months after Skyla of a broken heart. It brought a tear to both my wife and my eyes as we imagined them doing this in heaven with Buddy the Wonder Pooch whirling around them in his usual panicked state.
In other family news Great Aunt so thoroughly enjoyed replacing one of her knees this past summer that she’s decided to replace the other one. Apparently all these years on her feet as an ICU nurse have eroded the cartilage away to the point she’s walking with bone on bone there. Since she has to work on Christmas this year and won’t be able to join us we’re conducting a pre-emptive Christmas day celebration on Saturday at our house. We’ll have everyone there, including Keene Friend, except for Wingman who has to work. My son thinks I’m a little crazy for preparing a full turkey dinner just a couple days before the big one but that’s how we roll and Great Aunt, more than anyone I can imagine, deserves a full Christmas experience, even if she’s doing it on one knee.
But Not Enough to Quit
Wingman was telling us about his new experience as a manager following his recent promotion at work. He spent the entire day in a suit and tie. I asked him when the last time he went to work in a suit and laughed when he reported this was a first time experience for him. I shouldn’t have because he’s got me beat. The first time I went to work in a suit and tie (not counting uniforms) I was in my fifties. I am so proud of him for the fantastic job he’s done as primary care giver for the FBR’s first two years and now at his new job. I knew if he got into a profession where his people skills could be brought to bear he would be an immediate success.


The Bad Cinema project count rises to #86 out of 100, with Crater Lake Monster with a dinosaur seemingly made out of play dough and Raiders from Atlantis which was Mad Max taking a Caribbean vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment