Tuesday, December 26, 2017

All That And Then Some

What a Weekend With this Crew!
I sometimes caution myself not to get too excited about upcoming events or visits because nothing can live up to the anticipation I create for myself. Happily I once again deluded myself by underestimated how much fun it would be to have everyone gather for Christmas. I know, kind of shocking that even the sky high expectations I had could have been exceeded.
The Sleeping Game - FBR Checking to Make Sure I'm Not Cheating


One Angel Putting Another Atop the Tree
The FBR and my daughter arrived shortly after noon on Friday ahead of Friday’s snow and ice storm. Even though it had only been a couple weeks the FBR showed remarkable progress in communicating. She quickly established herself as a force to be reckoned with. We also played a new game together where we make believe we’re sleeping. It would a lot more restful if she didn’t jump on my chest to mark the end of the sleeping period. I’ll tell the story of the weekend through pictures mostly because words seem inadequate to fully redeem the joy of the past few days. I haven’t been near the computer for any extended time since last Friday and the fun with real people had everything to do with that.
Getting the Latest News

Morre Sleeping Games

Point of Order

Abuela Helping Out

Very Happy Times
The wild swings in weather led to a change in our Christmas plans. Instead of traveling up to New Hampshire on Christmas Eve after our first Christmas celebration on Saturday my Favorite Son and the ABFA decided it made more sense to just remain with us and conduct Christmas operations from our home. It made for a great weekend plus. Since Great Aunt and the Soxfather had to work they were not able to join us for Christmas this year so we arranged a full celebration on Saturday to include a full Christmas dinner (gluten free in honor of the Great Aunt). Another member of the family, Keene Friend, also joined us to complete the gathering with the exception of Wingman who had to work in New Jersey on Saturday.
Riggins' New Best Friend

Uncle Helping Build Tower for Demolition

ABFA Consultations

Happy Girls
My hat is off to everyone who drove to our house on Saturday as the Friday night ice storm decided to continue well into Saturday. I had some doubts around mid-day but the redoubtable crew all made their planned appearances and the fun was on. Riggins also joined us for the weekend because what is Christmas without a dog! It did bring some wistful memories of Buddy the Wonder Pooch who so thoroughly enjoyed the past few Christmases. There were no eviscerated stuffed toys this year.
FBR Assisting with Table Repairs

Out in the Snow on Saturday

C'mon Grampa
We were setting up for this first Christmas dinner when the leg fell off the dining room table. This would have been cause for panic or at least recriminations since my wife had been after me for the better part of six months to get it repaired. It went through eight moves with us and was a little worse for the wear. Thank God it was Christmas – at least in the recrimination department. I dug into my bag of tricks and with the help of gorilla glue and toothpicks to replace worn out screw holes I was able to get the table back in operation. The FBR was of limited if persistent help. She kept stealing the flashlight I needed to see when she wasn’t hurling herself at my unprotected torso while I was stretched out on the floor. We also made the mistake of laughing when she knocked over the tower of blocks we were playing with. Ever the entertainer this meant she would make a bee line for the rest of the weekend whenever something was assembled in order to knock it down – channeling her inner Godzilla.
First Christmas Dinner at Repaired Table





After dinner we went through the gift exchanging which had its own issues since I had to extract the gifts for the Rhode Island bunch and Keene Friend out of the mass of gifts that seemed to swell proportionally with the arrival of each new attendee. It was all too much fun, especially watching the FBR stop and play with each new gift that she opened. Christmas is liberally endowed with memories and I kept finding my mind wandering back to Christmases of my youth in Keene as I luxuriated in the presence of people who had shared so many of them with me. It was one of those evenings that I didn’t want to end but time has this nasty habit of continuing to progress despite my pertinent aspirations. The survivors all ended up on the couch in the Man Cave where we watched The Holiday together as the night wound down. Riggins has wormed his way into my wife’s heart enough that she even allowed him some Buddy like privileges in the couch climbing department. She misses him as much as I do.
Overstocked Tree

Beloved Chaos 

Daughter and Keene Friend

Chex Mix Addict

Late Night Movie in the Cave

Riggins Gaining Couch Privileges
Sunday turned out to be the only clear day of the entire weekend and that was fortunate since my daughter and I had to trek down to Rhode Island to pick up Wingman who traveled up via train. We had to leave the Patriots’ game to do so but that turned out okay since we were able to listen on the radio as they finished toying with the Bills and put them away decisively by the time we were back in Worcester. We attended Christmas Eve Mass with the FBR and ended up sitting in the front row. Against all odds she was an angel, thank God for crackers and drawing games.
Happy Abuela

FBR Storming the Altar at Church

Abuela Explaining

Great Aunt and Soxfather in the House

Another Tower to Destroy

Riggins Jumping on Grampa

FBR Football

If She Puts the Sunglasses on - She Disappears

Stealth FBR
Christmas Eve involved some serious eggnog and the reunification of the New Jersey element. In a stroke of good fortune the ABFA’s parents decided to join us as well since travelling on Christmas day looked sketchy. I was trying to get the FBR into leaving a snack out for Santa as I told her how much St Nick like Coors Lite. My favorite Panamanian opined that Santa had way too much of that and Christmas cookies already. We topped the Eve off back in the Man Cave watching our traditional day before Christmas movie – Love Actually. My wife assisted (since I injured my hand on a stray turkey rib) as I prepped the Christmas turkey so it would be ready to start cooking first thing in the morning just as midnight passed.
Christmas Morning

FBR in Residence

ABFA and Favorite Son

The FBR Was Very Busy

She Loved her New Doll and Stroller

Watch out Ankles
As she is wont to do the FBR was up early and energized for Christmas morning. We’re still getting used to having a true young’un around so it took a while for everyone to wander down for the frenzied gift opening. The FBR was once again the star of the show and made all of her abuela’s many shopping forays totally worthwhile. It had started snowing overnight and continued well into the morning which made the morning seem even more special – especially since we didn’t have to drive in it.
Scooter and Cat Helmet

Riggins Positioned Near the FBR's Chair 

ABFA and Son Helping with Breakfast

Christmas Breakfast

Wingman with Scooter Lessons
After the much too generous gift giving we adjourned to the kitchen for our next tradition which was mimosas and fried dough – again with memories’ of prior Christmases flooding along with them. This was followed by what could only be described as a true Christmas miracle. My wife decided to join us outside to play in the snow. I call it the FBR effect. She stayed outside in the cold and played with the FBR for more than an hour while I cleared the driveway. This was the longest time she had ever been outside in snow in her entire life. She even made snow angels – I was in shock.
Rarest of Scenes - My Wife and Snow

And this is the Reason Why


My Favorite Son and I teamed up to prepare the Christmas dinner during the afternoon. I had a real sense of passing the torch this year as he carved the turkey all by himself and I was rightfully reduced to advisory role in most aspects of the dinner prep. It was kind of cool and a lot less tiring. I nevertheless found myself in deep tryptophan somnambulance that only a brief nap on the couch would address following the meal. The FBR adversely saw the stimulation of Christmas too exciting to actually sleep during her nap so she was a little punchy by the early evening.
Son and I Making Dinner
The dreaded departures started all too soon. The ABFA’s parents were the first to skate off down the hill as Worcester’s Christmas snow removal efforts left a lot to be desired. My son had the car loaded with gifts, the ABFA, and Riggins while dealing with an oncoming cold only to find his car wouldn’t start. Luckily I had a set of jumper cables that I didn’t even realize were still around. Wingman and I were able to get his car started and they made it home in good time.
Winding Down
Wingman and I ended up watching some late night football as the house recoiled from the weekend’s activity and buzz back to more regular rhythms. My wife, exhausted from her first efforts as a snow bunny, retired early, knowing she’ll need all her energy this week.
She’ll need the energy because the FBR will be staying with us until we leave for Panama on Friday. This will help me deal with my usual post-Christmas depression but could seriously tap energy reserves. It will certainly assist in dealing with the sadness of today’s departure of my daughter and Wingman. Their day care provider is closed for this week so we’re stepping in. My daughter will return Thursday night to pick up the FBR. So, as I stated at the beginning of what has evolved in a true tome, my Christmas was even better than my lofty expectations could have imagined.

The Bad Cinema project count remains at #87 out of 100, for the foreseeable future for obvious reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment