Friday, December 22, 2017

Anticipation Day

All the hoopla of the past few weeks comes home to rest today as my Christmas officially starts with the arrival of my daughter and the FBR. It’s hard to overstate how much I’ve anticipated this appearance. I think, as a self-proclaimed Christmas fanatic, I can unequivocally state that seeing Christmas through the eyes of young children is the very best way to experience the event. Their unfiltered joy and wonder of the season’s trappings harken back to my own at a similar age. I think that’s what we all look for, even the self-proclaimed grinches. Every Christmas decoration I hung this year made me imagine what the FBR’s reaction would be. I can’t wait for next year when she’ll be joined by the BRS but I’m letting this anticipation thing get out of hand. My daughter and the FBR should be wending their way through the wilds of Connecticut as I write this.
My Staff at the Party YEsterday
We had the management office Christmas luncheon yesterday which was a lot of fun. I’m surrounded by a lot of very competent ladies and they take these things very seriously. It’s kind of cool being the boss but all of the hard work putting this together was done by these great ladies. We had a pot luck lunch, played some sort of arcane dice game, and then Yankee swapped some gifts. I ended up with a small real, Christmas tree. This was added to the seventeen or so of varying sizes my wife has adorned the house with. I was supposed to be joining my former Most Excellent Boss for a quick lunch today before the weather blows in but he wimped out.
I Photo Bombed Them

There are so many movies out right now and with Christmas and the FBR blowing into town I figured the next time I’ll be able to go to the movies will be when I return from Panama in mid-January. For that reason my wife and I commandeered a second date night yesterday to see Father Figures (her choice, not mine). This had some very funny bits during the trailer we’d seen and it turned out to be one of those where they picked 75% of the funniest lines from the movie which left us waiting for even more that never materialized. This is the first clear miss for Ed Helms as he went too overboard in making his character thoroughly unappealing. I wanted to slap some sense in him for most of the movie. It takes nearly the whole movie for him to develop some chemistry with his twin brother played capably by Owen Wilson, in full beach bum mode. They’re trying to find their father by tracing their mother’s very active 1970s sex life backwards. There are some funny moments but this falls flat despite some very competent actors. That leaves me pointing at the writing. Good premise – poorly executed.

The Bad Cinema project count rises to #87 out of 100, with Robo Vampire with hopping Chinese vampires may take the take the crown as the very worst film in this trail of tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment