Monday, December 11, 2017

Thankfulness

As with any parent with a child working in New York City I was a little apprehensive when I heard about the latest attempted terrorist attack this morning at the Port Authority. I didn’t think my daughter’s commute took her through that place but parents always worst case any situation when their offspring are involved. She texted us shortly thereafter to assure us she was fine and only inconvenienced since they shut down the subway line she normally uses once she gets off her commuter train. As with most of their ilk the bomber was another one of the low grade morons that ISIS seems to specialize in. He blew himself up and luckily survived to enjoy the intense pain his burn injuries will result in. I mean, Mondays are bad enough, without having to deal with this nonsense.
FBR Helping Dad Out This Morning
I deployed the snow blower for the first time this season with the cables repaired so I didn’t have to hold a duct taped rope to get it to move. It performed heroically and once again firmly cemented my view that the snow blower, along with the EZ-Pass, stand atop any list of human inventions. Of course any machine is only as smart as the operator and mine was working at a severe disadvantage yesterday. While Worcester did a good job of moving the 7.5 inches of snow off the roads overnight the roads had frozen to glare ice in the early morning. I completed my first turn as the snow blower broke through the street side mound and promptly found myself flat on my back as my feet shot out from under me. The indignity was compounded by the several neighbors also out shoveling who witnessed my less than graceful pirouette.
Kind of face That Launched a Thousand Ships

Great for Embarrassing her When She's a Teenager
The roads thawed over the next couple hours as I nursed my bruised dignity as well as more well-padded parts of my anatomy. My wife volunteered us to help our church with the annual distribution of Christmas presents that parishioners donated. I always bitch and moan about this type stuff but I always feel better after actually doing it. I’m thankful my wife has the open heart she does and drags me into being a better person. She says I have a good heart and a hard head – sounds about right. We helped sort out the hundreds of presents and then delivered four huge containers of them to a local nursing home.

The Bad Cinema project count rises to #76 out of 100, with Brother from Another Planet which was pretty good – John Sayles showing his early promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment