Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Cookied Again

ABFA (Flowered Dress) & Son (Striped Tie) in Alumni Mag
I received the alumni magazine from my alma mater yesterday and I was perusing it this morning and ran into this photo which provided a nice surprise. The ABFA and Favorite Son must have set some sort of Guinness record over the past decade in the number of weddings they’ve attended. They both graduated from the same college I did and have a huge number of college friends that generated the wedding invitations. It was nice to see them pop up so unexpectedly – kind of made my morning.
FBR Out to Eat With Wingman Last Night
A really nasty day yesterday filled with snow, ice and ultimately almost day long rain – just about the perfect brew for a totally forgettable day. Of course any day inhabited by my Favorite Panamanian will be anything but forgettable. Since she is culturally averse to going outside on a day like this she called in friends for a lunch featuring one of her signature soups and non-stop conversation. Business requirements kept me at the office all day so we both won.
End Result - Survivors of my Depradations
Following her lunch soiree she launched into the final phase of Christmas cookie prep. I returned home to find her coated in flour and surrounded by impossibly tasty treats. I feel like I put a couple pounds on simply walking in the door. That entry commenced the cat and mouse game between us as I tried strafing runs past the cooling cookies whenever she was distracted. She bowed out of date night so she could complete the effort. When I returned from the movies she was exhausted and I helped with the final few rounds of peanut butter blossoms. My assistance was rewarded in relaxed security measures when it came to cookie consumption. I can be bought.
I went to see Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri which was one of the angriest movies I’ve ever seen and also one of the best. There is not a weak link in any of the acting performances and Frances McDormand is transcendent. You can feel the rage simmering within her as the mother of a murdered daughter trying to cajole the police department into solving the crime. This isn’t the usual black and white sides of a situation Hollywood revels in. All of the characters are multifaceted and flawed. There are some very poignant moments also, none better when than when the police chief coughs and McDormand’s icy steel façade drops for an instant. The easiest message to take from this is that life is complicated and to look beyond the surface of people – wise advice. There are no easy answers here but a lot of fun taking the ride along with this talented group of actors at the top of their game. I can’t recommend this movie highly enough. It can be tough at times but the dark comedy laced throughout makes it all worthwhile.
The Bad Cinema project count rises to #78 out of 100, with Primal Impulse about a very confused Italian lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment