Sunday, December 10, 2017

First Snows

Mothers Day Dinner Friday Night - Via Restaurant
It snowed almost the entire day yesterday and well into the night. This was the first accumulating snow of the winter and mandated a day inside since we had nothing pressing to do and too many flatlanders learning how to drive in snow for the first time. I did run a couple errands only to confirm the new Highlander is every bit as capable as its predecessor – an absolute requirement for hilltop living in New England. My wife, who is loath to go outside on a bright sunny day when the temperature is less than 65 degrees declared the kitchen as the forbidden zone, to me at least, as she commenced Christmas cookies preparation.
Snow fall This Morinng


Wife in the Cookie Zone
I was more than willing to cede access if her usual batch of holiday confectionaries was the result. I burrowed deeply into the Man Cave with bad cinema and DVR backlog reduction activities. I did try a couple clandestine raids into the cookie creation zone but ran up against stout wifely defenses. The smell was enough to expand waist lines in and of itself. I watched the Army-Navy game which ended in the correct fashion for the second year in a row. I’m sure the Cantankerous Friend will be noticeably and uncharacteristically quiet on the subject. He has too many Army friends.
The Savory Result

FBR Snow Sampling
The FBR was out in the less prodigious New Jersey snows. She told her parents when she woke up that the lawn was covered in salt. Wingman took her out for snow ball building and the critical lesson of catching snowflakes on the tongue. When we finally caught up with them later in the day they were just finishing up watching Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer, my favorite Christmas show of all time (the one with Burl Ives narrating). In another sign of true breeding the FBR also seems to have loved it.
Friday Fun with Neighborhood Kids

Aftermath
I’ve just come in from moving all the snow around and hopefully the streets thaw out a little because I’ve been volunteered to drive my wife around today delivering Christmas presents collected by our church. She always waits until the height of First Friday good cheer to elicit these promises from me. She is nothing if not crafty.


The Bad Cinema project count rises to #74 out of 100, with Hundra and Mission Stardust – too much Man Cave time yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment