Sunday, October 15, 2017

Trying Day

FBR Sighting
Yesterday was the acid test for my first weekend day without the Favorite Panamanian AND Buddy the Wonder Pooch. I tried to throw myself into work but felt almost angry all day long – I guess I miss the company, even of a hyperactive black lab. I noticed some late season weathering on some of the deck so Deckzilla got a complete power washing. I forgot how big the damned thing was but we had unseasonably warm weather which made it more bearable than it should be in mid-October. I also had to travel to Natick to pick up a new table the aforementioned Panamanian had acquired. While enroute I got to meet a very nice state policeman who was concerned about my haste in getting to Natick. I’m getting to old to do crap like that, which is what I’m sure he was thinking.
Deckilla Restored
As tedious and uneventful, other than my interaction with law enforcement, my day was, my wife had the exact opposite. She was spending the day in the condo taking delivery of a bunch of appliances we purchased the last time we were down there as well as getting the window blinds installed. She also had to get her mother and sister up and on the road in time. I nodded sagely when she commented on the frustration of getting her mother anywhere on time. She arrived at the condo to find the electricity was out which meant the elevator wasn’t operational.
The window blinds guy showed up and was able to install those without a problem, they looked great when I saw them later in the day. The delivery truck showed up and only had the televisions and blu ray players. While I applaud their priorities they were also supposed to have a washer/dryer combo, a refrigerator, and a microwave. Since there was also no Wi-Fi she couldn’t call the store to sort it out. She eventually drove down the beach and parked outside a resort that did have Wi-Fi and called to complain. The store said the delivery dudes had already been told to load the truck and were on their way back. The store was forty five minutes away.
While waiting for the truck, again, and since the water was now not working the three ladies wandered across the road to a new hotel that recently opened. My wife said I was going to love the bar which is run by a couple young Canadians who were looking forward to having residents in the condos. It will be nice to have a neighborhood bar, it just keeps getting better. The truck eventually returned and after reconning informed my wife that the refrigerator would not fit up the stairwell. It was at this point I think the Power above finally took mercy on her and restored electricity and everything made its to the third floor via the elevator.
As you can imagine she was pretty harried by the time we spoke last night. While she went through the litany challenges she faced during the day I think she was also a little proud of herself for accomplishing everything despite the barriers thrown up. I think if more people persevered despite life’s obstacles we would all be better off. I didn’t try to make this point with her last night though. Last night also marked the first time anyone had spent the night in the condo. I’m looking forward to a full report today - as long as it doesn’t come during the Patriots’ game.
New Slippers 

Are a Hit
I reached out to New Jersey last evening only to find my daughter in a car heading for a Curbside Reunion dinner in the big city. When I contacted Wingman I found he and the FBR milling outside with some of their excellent neighbors. Once inside the FBR test drove her new, and highly popular, slippers featuring Elmo the Magnificent. She also has a patented new conniption fit whenever she doesn’t get her way – a prelude to those wonderful terrible twos that are somehow bearing down upon her. Yesterday’s came because Wingman wouldn’t let her use fifty cleaning wipes to rub down the kitchen table.


The Bad Cinema project count rises to #32 out of 100, with Sons of Hercules and Giants of Rome – more sand and sandals from 1960s Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment