Thursday, October 12, 2017

Major News Flash!!!!!

Photo from June News Reveal
I have been operating under very strict orders, punishable by inconceivable pain and torture, to keep some huge news under heavy wrap for the past few months. I finally received clearance from my Favorite Son and the ABFA to reveal the fabulous news. It is with no small amount of excitement that I announce the February arrival of the BRS – Blog Reader the Sequel. For those of you who do not speak fluent Frail Deeds jargon – yes that means I’m going to be a grandparent again!
The Initial Baby Bump from a Few Weeks Ago
Back during a June wedding we all attended I noticed that the ABFA wasn’t drinking anything alcoholic and simply noted it as a data point although I certainly had my suspicions. Despite that, a few days later we were all seated around the kitchen table when my son came up with what I thought was a gift for the FBR since she was running around at the time. I was later summarily informed the PJs were much too small for the FBR. He then told me to look closely at what was written on the baby PJs and it was obvious they were trying to tell me they were expecting their first child. I was immediately overcome with emotion and for some reason it was very hard to see clearly; being misty eyed as I am wont to do.
The June Wedding - Who Knew there Were Five Family Members in this Photo?
My wife on the other hand had no hesitation whatsoever and immediately understood what they were trying to tell us and launched into one of her patented happy dances with accompanying squeals of delight. It was at this point that both my son and the ABFA read me the riot act about revealing the news outside of selected individuals. They understand my somewhat less than understated joy at the news and subsequent almost pathological need to shout that joy to the heavens – or at least to Frail Deeds readers. This was much tougher to keep under wraps than some of the highly classified material I was exposed to in my later Army career but against all odds, I succeeded.
Riggins is Getting a Sibling
We’ve followed the development of the BRS through periodic updates from the ABFA. She reported the growth from the size of a grape, to an orange, to whatever comes next (never been good with the fruit analogies). During our recent weekend visit to their house my son showed us the latest ultrasound pictures which were extremely high def. The kid already has a very pronounced proboscis – so definitely breeding true for our side of the family. The obvious question is whether the BRS is male or female. The ABFA does not want to know ahead of time while my son, engineer that he is, does. The doctor gave them an envelope with the sex revealed which the ABFA took control of and subsequently hid, very successfully, somewhere in the house. I advised my son that in this situation, much like the wedding, the guy gets 49% of the vote and its more fun waiting for the surprise reveal.
The FBR with her Other Grandpa This Week
Love this Photo
So the FBR is going to have some serious competition for blog space in a few months. I have to commend both of my children for scheduling the arrival of their own children conveniently close to their grandparents’ own birthdays. The FBR arrived a few days before mine and the BRS is scheduled to premiere a day before my wife’s. February is going to be an exciting time for years to come. I’m thinking an annual tropical birthday party at the condo could be in order. I can state unequivocally the weather will be better there than in New Hampshire in February.
They Seem to Enjoy Each Other's Company
The FBR completed her indoctrination course for her other grandfather this week and they both seemed to have enjoyed the process immensely. Wingman admitted he found the procedure exhausting. Today is actually a big day for the FBR as it marks her first day in day care. They’re testing it out so Wingman can seek employment. Another benefit of the close knit neighborhood was the in home day care center recommended by neighbors with children of similar age.
My Back Yard Companion Last Night
My wife happily reported in from her mother’s house in Panama where she and her immense cache of luggage had safely, if tardily, arrived. She was very excited because the rental car I arranged for her had been upgraded at the airport to a full sized SUV. She loves sitting up high but having driven a lot in Panama I’m worried about the size compared to the other vehicles sharing the road with her. A full sized SUV on the crowded and narrow roads of her hometown is akin to having an Abrams main battle tank. This could get interesting.
I’m feeling the absence of my wife a little more keenly this time because this is the first time

I don’t have my faithful canine companion around the shield the loneliness. I still expect him to stick his nose around the door before it is fully open as I walk in each day from work. Buddy was so much more than a mere dog. Maybe he’s been reincarnated as a fox because one of those stealthy dudes eased into the back yard last evening as I was preparing dinner. Instead of charging away when I walked outside he continued to munch on whatever he’d found in the next door neighbor’s back yard. I hope it wasn’t the FBR’s favorite chipmunk.
I, of course, ended up at the movie theater last night combating the incipient solitariness. I saw Flatliners which is a remake of a bad Julia Roberts – Kiefer Sutherland flick. They didn’t get it right this time either. You’d think Sutherland, who returns as a senior doc this time out, would have clued them in. The whole premise of interns choosing to die on the off chance their medical student buddies can revive them is such a hard premise to accept. Of course, drama demands that something evil follows them back from their brief stay in the next life. Ellen Page struggles to carry the story as the lead and isn’t ably assisted by any of the other main cast members except for Diego Luna who is fantastic. While this isn’t a very good movie it did scare the hell out of me repeatedly so if you’re looking for some jolts this might work for you. On that level it did for me but I think the director tried to do too much in having so many different stories crammed in and it absolutely limps to the finish line after all the scary bits of the middle third.

The Bad Cinema project count rises to #29 out of 100, with White Pongo – the very worst of all the bad movies I’ve seen so far in this effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment