Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Sweet Sorrow

And "Poof", She's Gone
I am officially a geographic bachelor again with my wife’s flight south to warmer climes. We journeyed into Boston this morning just ahead of the ice storm that’s busily coating everything in sight right now while a certain football team in journeys through Beantown in duck boats. You’d think I would be more than prepared for the separation as we’ve had a lot of practice over the past year but it just does not get any easier. I think we’re used to being around each other.
Granddaughter is Helping Pack up Her Toys
People who know both of us sometimes marvel my Favorite Panamanian and I get along so well because we are so different in personality. I think any successful marriage involves tolerating occasional personality clashes. This allowance is something that comes with age and experience though because I certainly wasn’t very good at it as a young man. I gave up on relationships on some of the flimsiest criteria, at least in retrospect. I’ve learned through hard experience that Soldiering through the tough times can produce a deepening of a connection between a couple as long as you honestly admit to yourself that you have worked through it. There are, of course, no hard and fast “rules” because we’re dealing with homo sapiens here but from my own experience it’s worth the labor involved as I descend into a more elderly status.
Dinner Date
I got the opportunity for one more date night before she flew the coop. We went out to eat last night and spent a lot of the meal just talking. I made the single largest bank transfer of my life earlier yesterday as I moved funds down to our Panamanian bank. We’ve got the closing on the condo coming up in the next couple months which will require yet another trip for me. I somehow don’t think I’ll mind it if a certain dinner date is waiting at the other end. She’s getting fired up about furnishing the condo and revealed a number of purchases she’d already made over the past couple years and stashed away in secret caches.
Cantankerous on the Right (starboard) 
I ran across this photo today on Facebook. It shows a very young version of the Cantankerous Friend at sea. Some of us who know him well think his ship still hasn’t come in. I particularly like the confused look on his face. While I understand that is a perpetual state of mind for young naval officers, he wears it well. Now I just hope he doesn’t find anything from my own second lieutenant days. God knows there’s ample evidence lurking somewhere.

Today’s morale photo injection:





No comments:

Post a Comment