Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Oscar Recovery Day

Best Friends
Yesterday was spent in full recovery mode after staying up way too late for Oscar related activities. As tough as my day was it paled in comparison to what I’m sure a certain Price Waterhouse accountant was going through. No more red carpet for that young man. I find it hard to countenance that today is the final day of February. I know it’s the shortest month of the year but Someone seems to have snatched the month away while I wasn’t watching. Time does speed up as you get older so I’ll have to file it away as another indicator. If a month has to go quickly it might as well be February with the attendant cold and snow. Of course it could all boil down to how busy life has been around me, just guessing.
Wife's Family Gathered Yesterday
My wife was involved in her own kind of speed timing yesterday for which I was intensely jealous. Panama is in the middle of its Carnivale season (their version of Mardi Gras) and yesterday she was at the Cousin of the Legendary Laugh’s house for a Carnivale party. I’ve chronicled some of my experiences at parties at that house which sits aside the Pan-American Highway. I’ve had some of the best times in my life there surrounded by my wife’s incomparable family. As usual there was a lot of laughing going on and a ping pong table has been added to the mix. I’m going to import my favorite ping pong ringer, Keene Friend, for some future visit.








I stole a march on dateless date night this week and went out to the movies last night. I went to see Collide which boasts two best actor Oscar winners which, given the complete lack of advertising for this movie, should have told me something. The film is very confused internationally with two Brits playing young American ex-pats, Sir Anthony Hopkins as a German villain with no discernible “Germanity” and Sir Ben Kingsley as a crazed Turkish gangster. You’d think a movie with that cast, despite the questionable geography, and including the breakout actress of the year, Felicity Jones, would be a sure bet. In the words of my favorite Sicilian criminal mastermind it’s – “inconceivable” that it is as bad as it is. There was no thought given to making the plot credible as they were apparently trying to give us a German version of Fast and the Furious. Jyn Erso should have stayed on Scarif. Pass on this.
A much more enjoyable experience was reading the second novel in the Stiger series, The Tiger, by Marc Alan Edelheit. I launched myself through this book as it never stops to take a breath with relentless close combat between Stiger’s legionnaires and rebels trying to take a fortress from him. He fights a long delaying action along a forested road using tactics straight out of the Roman legion’s playbook. The connection to that Roman legacy is hinted more at in this second book and dwarves join the already revealed elves to give it even more Tolkienish flavor. This book was right in my wheelhouse and Edelheit shows a real flair for bringing close combat to his pages. I couldn’t put it down. It won’t be for everybody but I could not have enjoyed it more. I’m already on to the third book.





Today’s Soxfather’s Sister’s morale photo injection:







No comments:

Post a Comment