Friday, February 3, 2017

Advance Celebrations

Dinner Last Night
My wife is once again abandoning me to the New England winter while she seeks warmer climes in her hometown in Panama. Her Tuesday departure is later this year and I really enjoyed having her around for the rare January. She kind of owes me a few months after last year’s absences. Her impending departure called for celebrating early both her upcoming birthday and our 35th wedding anniversary since she will be south for both events. I took her out to dinner last night to one of her favorite restaurants in Worcester. We were seated in the exact same table that we celebrated an anniversary dinner a few years ago.

It was a very good time because, as with most married couples, although we hang out a lot with each other, the chance to sit down across from each other and just talk can prove elusive. This is especially true with everything that’s been going on with us over the past months. One of those nights where I once again realized how fortunate I was when she agreed to marry this big gringo thirty five years ago; even when she wanders into what I lamely call her “high maintenance phases”. We even fielded a FaceTime call from the First Blog Reader as she assisted with the packing frenzy out in California. Once she realized we couldn’t make any of our usual silly faces she abandoned us. It was still so nice to see her, the Cali-Daughter and Wingman and served as yet another reminder of how lucky that big gringo continues to be.
We topped the night off with another movie. I knew I was going to see A Dog’s Purpose when I first saw the previews. Dogs have had an unbreakable hold on my soul from my earliest encounters with them. The movie unabashedly goes straight for the heart and any dog lover will be trapped. I think most movie critics are cat lovers because they seem to hate it. The anthropomorphizing is just short of Incredible Journey territory as it tells the story of Bailey and his circular journey through several lives. Humans predictably come across less generously but I think that’s accurate when we’re compared against the canine soul. It’s okay to have the heartstrings yanked every now and then, especially given today’s political climate. If you love dogs, go see this as it projects more of a human fantasy/hope about our canine brothers and sisters than anything else. Good dog.
An eloquent indication of how much I value time with the offspring is today’s cancelling of First Friday’s celebrations so we can journey north to New Hampshire to spend the evening with my Favorite Son and the ABFA. We’re going to dinner and some play with them and the ABFA’s parents so the decision as a no-brainer as I get to spend the evening with some of the people at the very top of my Favorite People in the World List.

Today’s morale photo injection:









No comments:

Post a Comment