Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Missing and Weirdness

On the Ball, As Always
My wife was launching some sort of missing person alert on me yesterday when she couldn’t track me down. She had alerted our daughter to learn if she knew anything which causes me to wonder how seriously my spouse was actually looking because the first person she contacted was 200 miles away from me. She couldn’t locate me because I was once again making up for lost time in the movie theater with middling results. I refuse to answer or even look at my cell phone when I’m in a movie theater.
I could take issue here with her own predilection to disappear for long stretches while engaged in shopping forays but that wouldn’t be seemly. Apparently I’m a cause for worry for her now that I’m alone in the house. I don’t think I’ve reached the “I’ve fallen and can’t get up” stage yet but she’s a natural and determined worrier. I think my daughter was a little amused at her being called into the hunt, welcome back to the East Coast.
By the time you read this hopefully the ex-California contingent will have finally closed on their house in spite of massive incompetence by the seller’s attorney. They spent another day yesterday awaiting the opportunity and my granddaughter was full of smiles when we talked last evening. She had just finished demonstrating her nascent dancing abilities which I’m sure had her grandmother doing a little dance of her own.
The weirdness part of the title comes from my cinematic experiences yesterday. I went to see A Cure for Wellness which could have been a very good movie if they’d cut a half hour from the running time. To say it had the pace of an earthworm on serious sedatives would be insulting to both worm and the pharmaceutical industry. It’s a mystery/horror flick which takes dead aim at Wall Street bankers and other assorted “elites’. A young executive is sent to retrieve his CEO from a wellness spa in Switzerland where he’s soon drawn into a very strange situation involving eels and parapet walking young damsels. The director does a great job of building suspense but seemed to enjoy it so much he forgot to move things along, see pace comments above. It’s one of those movies where you’ve seen all of this before and a chance was missed. Pass on this, way too long.
The other flick I took in was Fist Fight which I had hopes for as a raunchy comedy. While the movie is very bad we did definitely learn that Charlie Day is incapable of moving beyond his usually very funny supporting roles. Ice Cube is very good as the threatening teacher planning on fighting the nerdish Day and Jillian Bell has the only truly funny lines in the whole movie. She’s carved out a real niche as a completely inappropriate character. The biggest surprise was the limited use of Christina Hendricks who looks to have doubled in size since her Mad Men days and now goes to Omar the Tentmaker for wardrobe fittings. Pass on this also, just not funny, which is problematic for a comedy I’m told.





Today’s Soxfather’s Sister’s morale photo injection:







No comments:

Post a Comment