Thursday, June 23, 2016

Footsies, Proud Father, and Cross Street Dishes

My Two Overachievers
As her remaining days in East Coast residence fades towards their inevitable and completely regrettable conclusion my granddaughter continues to push the envelope on the charm scale. I spent better than a half hour with her yesterday when I returned form work just lying on the floor together. Granted, she was a lot more active than I was. She demonstrated amazing dexterity with her feet which she uses almost like another set of hands. We, and most of her East Coast family, have invested serious money in toys for her but her favorite seems to be an empty water bottle.
Foot Use

With Her Water Bottle Filled with Dry Rice
Water bottles in general seem to fascinate her to no end. We have taken to eating our morning and afternoon meals together (if I’m really lucky) and as soon as she sees my water bottle she refuses to eat anything until she’s had a chance to handle it. I know its dry in Los Angeles and I wonder if this is a reaction to it? I’m still examining scenarios where I refuse to let her leave. Fortunately I’m going to be consumed with the final phase of the move across the street over the days immediately following her and my daughter’s departure. It’s still not going to be easy.
I know I tend to brag a little bit about my children but no apologies (in other words – deal with it). I’m still constantly amazed they emerged as intact as they did considering their father figure. My daughter got her annual evaluation from work yesterday along with an unexpected raise. This from a company that recently went through a major downsizing, which speaks volumes about how much they value her. Not half as much as I do but it’s nice to hear other people see the same excellence I do.
Floor Time While Wife Packs Dining Room

"Grampa, Why aren't You Packing the Glassware?"
I spent that half hour on the floor yesterday because my wife was packing up the dining room treasures from the hutch. One of the real benefits of moving just across the street is not having to pack everything into dozens of boxes and then unpacking them, something we’ve done so many times during the course of a military marriage (side note: it’s not a lot of fun). She’s very suspect of my ability not to break things so I was under strict orders to carry only so much during each trip across the street despite my protestations that I could manage a lot more. I think you know who won that argument.

Deck - Almost There

Huge!
The deck is in its final throes of construction with the contractor rounding corners and adding the final touches he’s promised all along. I know I had my doubts when my wife decided to greatly expand my own modest plans but I’m completely on board now that I see it. It’s like we added another room to the house and are making better use of what would have been a fairly limited back yard. I can’t wait for the First Friday after parties there each week.
Wingman was in Milwaukee Last Night


"Grampa - Pick Me Up!"
Heartbreakingly Reminiscent of a Similar Move by her Mother 30 years Ago








New Sleeping Position - Butt Firmly into the Air



No comments:

Post a Comment