Monday, June 20, 2016

Day Apprehension

Happiness
A real conundrum today; how can I possibly capture a day filled with so much delight? I know some hipster wag will probably dismiss my claim that the very best of possible times is spent surrounded by family and friends. I honestly feel sorry for the benighted wag. A Father’s Day where I wake up and my wife summarily orders me not to approach the kitchen so she can make my breakfast while I “have” to hang out in the living room with my granddaughter – I think you get the picture.





Providing Culinary Advice to my Wife
A Course of Action Fraught with Danger
We’ve gone to the mattresses (because everything in life can be linked back to the Godfather movies) since I moved the bedframes over to the new house. I literally rolled out of bed and headed downstairs for my usual Sunday rituals but was soon confronted by an adamant Panamanian who summarily refused to let me do anything even approaching work – hence the carpet time with the First Blog Reader. I almost didn’t want to eat breakfast (and not because my wife’s twice annual attempts at a cheese omelet either). It’s amazing just how much hanging with a seven month old can be. I haven’t had that much fun on a carpet since . . . (well some stories are better left unsaid).
Deck Passes Test with Flying Colors

Granddaughter Talking with herTio/Godfather

Checking out the Popcorn

Truly Great Uncle and Aunt

With the Keene Friend - Got the Word on Blue Shirt Day

Possibly Perfect Father's Day

We conducted split operations yesterday by celebrating across the street on the new (almost finished) deck. I had first ballot hall of fame selections joining the already enhanced home team yesterday with the arrivals of my Favorite Son, the ABFA, my sister/brother in law, the ABFA’s parents, and of course the Keene Friend. It was altogether fitting this assembled group of excellence was present to christen the new deck. We all missed having Wingman with us, probably almost as much as he missed being with us.
There were bumps along the way requiring trips back and forth across the street to gather supplies that hadn’t made their way to the new digs yet but this came as close as possible to a perfect afternoon. I’m glad quality isn’t imbued with weight because no structure could have withstood an assault of this assembly. The afternoon was further enhanced (thought impossible) when the next door Mafiosos wandered down the street to join us. The deck is going to be a perfect locale for partying and I envisaged various groupings of this core assemblage returning hopefully many times over the upcoming years.
I’m now the proud owner of two lawnmowers after starting the weekend with none. My wife and son had conspired to surprise me with one as a Father’s Day gift, never expecting me to go shopping for one on my own (I can understand that logic). One of the lawnmowers is going back this week to serve as a down payment on a snow blower as I hear that it does occasionally snow in Worcester.

Wife Manning the Transplanted Grill
If the day wasn’t complete enough I topped it off watching one of the most satisfying television episodes in recent memory. One that had me leaping (at least in my head) from couch and shouting in joy. I was so happy to watch Game of Thrones with my daughter (and fellow closet geek).  She has roundly chastised me in the past for revealing plot twists here on the blog so I’ll try to be obscure and say I never enjoyed a dog’s meal more than last night’s feast at Winterfell.
Some More Scenes from Yesterday:


Discovering a New Sleeping Position



ABFA Aunt















No comments:

Post a Comment