Monday, December 7, 2015

Yikes and Lights

I’m fortunate to have a certain young lady out in California (see pictures below) and the Christmas season to lift my spirits because yesterday was not a lot of fun in some other areas. First I had to abandon my home town after Saturday frolics as Keene Friend accompanied us to a very entertaining breakfast where my wife conducted an after-action review of our Saturday antics.  I then had to return home to face Sunday chores ahead of dreaded Monday. That wasn’t so bad since I had my faithful commander in chief at my side. At least I had the prospect of a Patriots game against an inferior opponent to look forward to. Or so I thought.
The Patriots laid their annual turkey yesterday with their defense only yielding two touchdowns but still losing the game because of uncharacteristic bad plays by both the special teams and none other than Saint Thomas of Brady. While that was very frustrating I liked the way the team responded, rallying late with a chance to tie the game until the receivers forgot how to catch the ball. That was not a lot of fun and Buddy was hanging out in the basement again because of all my frustrated yelling.    
Why Bother?
Our benighted commander in chief was making a rare Oval Office speech last night and I had some real hope that he was finally going to announce some major shift in his failed policy in the Middle East. Those hopes were dashed as we got more of the same talk of how sad it is there are bad people in the world and we’re continuing to work with equally inefficient allies to eventually, maybe do something about it. I was left wondering why the hell he made the speech at all, nothing changed. Here was yet another chance to be a leader, but once again he failed miserably.

Wife Outside in December - Rare in and Of Itself

The Results
However we are in the midst of an all too rapidly approaching Christmas season and that was enough for my wife to pry me away from the Red Zone out onto the front lawn long enough to set up her Christmas light display.  I’m the brute force and ignorance part of the operation, insuring everything is connected to electricity and climbing ladders to reach the higher points while she directs and designs. I’m just glad she no longer requires me to climb trees as there is a very inviting one in our front yard. I had visions of Clark Griswold’s electric meter once everything was lit but I can’t help but enjoy the lights and those around the neighborhood as more and more appear. I keep finding new reasons to enjoy the move into Worcester.
California Perfection

Watching the Pats with Dad and Grandpa (jealous)



No comments:

Post a Comment