Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Hot Air and Movie Fail

I’m one of the few people who’s kept his mouth shut over the past few months as the Presidential Primary season fast approaches. We are being inundated with political ads and breathless TV coverage, mainly of a guy who should be considered a fringe candidate – Donald Trump. After his latest and most idiotic (and that’s a high standard to meet) statement, I’ve got to say something. I firmly believe he only got into the race as one of his publicity stunts and was buoyed by the initial reactions to his fear mongering. He’s obviously adept at garnering attention and marginalizing other candidates with his larger than life personality but is anyone seriously considering him as a viable commander in chief?
I can almost believe he’s a Democratic Party plant as they face a tough election following the Obama performance in a vacuum. Let’s be perfectly clear, if Donald Trump wins the Republican Party nomination the Democratic Party’s chances in the general election skyrocket. Trump is appealing to the worst fears and unstated biases most people carry around. While he has the hutzpah to be politically incorrect, which is at times refreshing, let’s not lose sight of what he’s saying. America can’t hide behind walls and claim any kind of moral ascendency indorsing his stated views. Our strength is in our freedom. Our ability to take the castoffs from around the world who don’t fit the rigid class or belief system of the old world and letting them contribute to our society. We’re stronger precisely because of our diversity. Trump by appealing to our fears plays right into the hands of the message of the purveyors of hate around the world. They want us to be afraid – hence the word terrorist. We’re better than that.
Worth Ten Trumps
He should call out the sun source of Islamic terrorism – Saudi Arabia – instead of all Muslims but I’m sure he needs them for some of his business deals. What we need now, more than anything else following the vacant oval office of the past eight years is a leader and a leader is never all about himself which Trump certainly is. I truly cannot understand the fascination with this guy.  More and more I am reminded of the movie – Idiocracy. If we elect this buffoon, we will deserve the disaster which will follow.

Trump isn’t the only idiot walking around; I have to count myself in that category as well for thinking I would like Krampus. Since the wife was out of town on date night I made the sacrifice of not seeing the gooey love story we had scheduled but went dark, with a horror movie based on Christmas spirit. As I write that I think I see where I went wrong. I’m much too big a fan of the Christmas season and all that entails to see it pilloried so thoroughly. An uptight suburban family has their red neck relatives inbound for the annual Christmas clash when the only “nice” member of the family loses his Christmas spirit. That results in a demon based attack by the title character.
This movie boasts some really good actors and a horror concept that should have worked better than it does. This wasn’t scary at all which was what I went in looking for. A gingerbread man, even with pointy teeth, isn’t that scary, neither are dark elves which are obviously stunt men wearing wooden masks. I left the movie feeling embarrassed I had wasted my time with it. If you’re going to take on my favorite holiday you’d better bring more than an arthritic demon and a dentally challenged jack-in-the-box. Pass on this if you have any real Christmas spirit.

Today’s selection of perfection photographed in California:
Hey Grandpa!

I'm Pretty Cool

Need My Beauty Sleep Though

The Cat is Trying to Re-Assert Himself when I Sleep

We're Learning to Co-Exist

No comments:

Post a Comment