Friday, December 11, 2015

Equilibrium Restored

Balance was restored to my state of existence with the return of my Favorite Panamanian yesterday from her condolence visit to the Maine Musquetera. It’s remarkable for anyone who knows how terrified she is of driving long distances solo to see her mastering this four hour drive into the northern woods. She’d do just about anything for one of her friends. She’s also getting a bit cocky about the whole endeavor, taking particular pride in the fact she didn’t have to call me at any point during the trip for guidance.
She’s also taken up another tried and true New England tradition. Anyone passing through New Hampshire (required if you’re going to get tot Maine) usually makes the obligatory stop in the state liquor stores. It’s kind of how you know you’re in New Hampshire. I’m convinced they tried to re-route I-95 through the liquor store parking lot before saner heads prevailed. She was able to stock up for the upcoming holiday party season despite her lack of knowledge in the whole adult beverage arena.
So, I’m very happy to have my partner in crime back at my side; even if it meant watching an uber-chick flick last night about some over-sexed English senior citizen ex-pats in a retirement hotel in the Indian subcontinent. She claims I saw the first film in this epic series and I’ll have to take her word on that. Buddy was more than a little put out that he had to share me with her again. He kept stealing her slippers in an effort to get her away from me. They had a long discussion on these efforts which I wisely stayed out of.
Wingman in Action
We did get to talk with the California contingent during a break in the granddaughter feeding frenzy. We even heard her burp thunderously over the phone. Apparently Wingman has proved to be an expert burp inducer, who knew? This is good since the other aspects of the feeding process are unavailable to him at this point. They sounded very happy.
Yesterday was incredibly frustrating at work since we had to operate without the internet for most of the day. It was telling to realize just how much the instant access to information has crept into the workplace. I had thirty or forty things I could work on but invariably I’d come to a point where I needed to check something and couldn’t because the information I needed was only available on line. It’s kind of insidious how dependent we’ve become in today’s society on the information superhighway (or whatever it’s called nowadays).

Today’s selection of perfection photographed in California:



No comments:

Post a Comment