Sunday, December 20, 2015

Son Time

Late post today since I spent Saturday night up in New Hampshire at a Christmas dinner party hosted by the favorite son and ABFA. As usual it was entirely too much fun hanging out with that remarkable pair. We were joined by the ABFA’s parents as well as her aunt and uncle. Buddy accompanied us and did not cover himself in glory although he did manage to spend most of the time with the adults around the occasional banishment to the basement.
Our Fantastic Hosts Last Night
When the aunt and uncle were arriving Buddy tried to take advantage of the cat door from his basement isolation cell. I’m not sure they taught physics in puppy school so he didn’t appreciate the impossibility of passing his bulk through the cat size door. That didn’t stop him from trying though and he did try to consume some of the ABFA’s aunt’s digits as a going away present. Now I have to buy a new cat door for the favorite son. As stated above, not covered in glory.
December decided to show up finally weather-wise which made things a bit frosty. That didn’t stop the New Hampshire neighbors who showed up at the door at one point for some well lubricated Christmas caroling. We were in the midst of a very entertaining Christmas guessing game the ABFA concocted with her trusty I-Phone.
Buddy Getting His Physics Lesson
Dinner was every bit as fabulous as it promised to be from the preparatory smells. I spent most of the preparatory phase validating my son’s cookie making prowess. He bred true from his mother and paternal grandmother. This of course means some additional miles in the pool and bicycle later this week.
The Birthday Boy
The miles were further augmented when we celebrated the ABFA’s dad’s birthday with some cake and ice cream. By the time the party wound down my wife and I had beaten everybody into submission with repeated viewing of every available photograph of our granddaughter. I think we may have overdone it, but I’m helpless to resist the need to brag about her obvious perfection and the need to share that information.

Damn Straight!




Before the party broke up there were some gifts exchanged and Buddy showed that he was rounding in to shape for the holiday season by attacking any scrap of wrapping paper he found within range. I know in some part of his lizard brain he was imagining the stuffed squirrel he’s received each of the last three Christmases. He must associate wrapping paper with the unfortunate rodent. I really didn’t want to leave this morning but the young couple obviously had better things to do and my wife and I had even more on our dance card back in Worcester. The last weekend before Christmas was certainly filled with family and friends – just what the doctor ordered for my California envy.
Searching for the Elusive Squirrel

No comments:

Post a Comment