Thursday, December 3, 2015

California, Secrets and Scudder Goodbye

When my daughter and Wingman moved out to California I thought I only had to worry about earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, gang violence, and the whole state falling into the Pacific Ocean theory. I didn’t think I’d have to worry about mass shootings, call it naivetĂ©. The San Bernardino massacre took place about sixty miles east of them but it still had me anxious when the news first broke. The motivations behind the attack are still murky but the shooters were Islamic and initial reports say the husband was born here while the wife came from Saudi Arabia, which is where they were married. I know the administration for strategic reasons will try to downplay the Saudi connection but how many more people have to die before we acknowledge them as the sun source of Sunni terrorism.  You can trace all of the recent attacks and ISIS itself back to the flawed edicts of Saudi religious leaders. It sounds the like this was a case of the American gun culture combined with radical Islam – talk about a worst case scenario.  
This time of year the cinema gets flooded with movies of both the blockbuster and Oscar trolling variety. My wife and I took in The Secret in their Eyes which is a re-make of an eminently superior Argentinian film which I had forgotten I’d seen until reminded by my daughter later. The plot doesn’t translate well to an American milieu. Julia Roberts is staggeringly good and definitely discards the glam for her role as the mother of a murdered daughter. Chiwetel Ejiofor is usually very good but he flails around a little too much here, clearly fighting above his weight with Roberts and achieving zero chemistry with Nicole Kidman. I lay the blame, as I usually do with former Mrs. Cruise, with Kidman. She was in her ice princess mode which robbed the film of the “denied love affair” between Ejiofor’s character and her which was so poignant in the Argentinian movie.
They make a serious mistake by making the murder victim the daughter of one of the law enforcement agents. The preposterous concept that other agents would protect the murderer just doesn’t work – totally unbelievable. They also minimize the importance of the title and what that meant to the investigator. I really looked forward to this movie but it falls flat which is a searing indictment of the filmmakers when they’re blessed with this quality in their cast.
Cuteness Personified!
Of course this wouldn’t be a Frail Deeds Dancing post if I didn’t pause to acknowledge the superb character and peerless beauty of my granddaughter who is now officially three weeks old. I forgot to download the daily batch of photos this morning so you’ll have to make do with this one which includes yet another outfit we bought during my wife’s shopping foray on my second day in LaLa Land.

Finally I’m saying goodbye a Mathew Scudder as I finished the last of the currently published novels by the incomparable Lawrence Block with A Drop of the Hard Stuff. I have a very real habit of thinking of my literary heroes as friends so when I finish the last works they appear in I feel I’ve lost a friend; at least for a while. Block still fairly prolific so I can hope Scudder will return at some point in the future but now I have to wait (not my strong suit) instead of having another one waiting for me. I’m weaning myself off the addiction by reading a collection of Scudder short stories collected into book. I also completed the list of locations I’m going to make a pilgrimage to at some point next year. Some are fictional while others do exist. New York City and the fringe of Hell’s Kitchen were vibrant characters in all Scudder novels and I feel a need to go there if for no other reason than to say I did. The locations include: Paris Green Restaurant, Armstrong’s, the Morning Star Diner, St Paul’s Church, the Flame Diner, Parc Vendome, the hotel across street, Grogan’s, Elaine’s shop, as well as a few others.
A Drop of the Hard Stuff is another flashback story, set in the first year of Scudder’s sobriety. A childhood friend who became a career criminal reconnects with Matt through AA and is killed shortly thereafter. Scudder’s sense of justice impels him along a path towards the killer who solves problems by removing the person causing the problem. When the killer becomes aware of Scudder he is classified as a problem therein leading to a typical Block concluding, grayish confrontation. I’m going to miss Matt, a lot, and I’ll leave you with some of his words from  A Drop of the Hard Stuff:

I was a problem for him. And I knew what solution he’d look for. When your only tool is hammer, they say, then every problem looks like a nail. I lay there in the darkness and wondered if I was afraid. I decided I was, but not of dying, not exactly. If I’d died a year ago, if I’d died drunk, that would have been as awful an ending as my life could have had. But I’d stayed sober for a year, and if I didn’t feel like celebrating, that didn’t mean I didn’t cherish the accomplishment. And if I died now, well, nobody could take that away from me. Cold comfort, I suppose, but better than no comfort at all. What I was afraid of, I realized, was that there was something I could do about this, and that I wouldn’t be able to figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment