Sunday, December 6, 2015

Elm City Libationary

I just returned from yet another thunder run up to my hometown and the most excellent company of the Keene Friend. This one wasn’t even my idea (honest!). My wife felt it had been too long since she enjoyed one of our quick visits up to Keene. I’m sure that the available tax free shopping had a little bit to do with it along with the company of Keene Friend.
The Two Keene Friends and the Best Bar Tender in Keene At Elm City Yesterday
Far be it from me to argue with whatever her motivation is/was because I can’t seem to spend enough time back “home”. I also had a gift certificate for the Elm City Brewery which had been burning a hole in my pocket ever since I received it for a birthday present from Keene Friend 2. That fine establishment and the best bar tender in Keene had been criminally neglected during our more recent adventures since the brewery isn’t the best place to include on a pub crawl itinerary.
Scores Later in the Day
Keene Friend and I were summarily dumped off at Elm City around 1:30 by my Favorite Panamanian as she made a bee line for shopping. It was a busy day at the brewery as Christmas shoppers swirled around. We lucked into seats at the bar ably administered to by the aforementioned bar tendress. She didn’t even need to ask what our order was and we settled down for an afternoon of football and beer. We made a net call out to Keene Friends to check on availability. The Cantankerous Find remained silent until late last night but Keene Friend 2 showed up to help spend his birthday present.
Wife and Checkout Girl
It was all too short an afternoon for everyone, except the bar tender probably, as it offered us the opportunity to solve the world’s problems with the assistance of Keene Kolsch. We finally looked at a clock only to learn it was nearing six pm and we had yet to hear from the mad shopper. She answered our call with an exasperated air until I pointed out the time. She squawked that she still had two stores left to pillage, including her favorite, TJ Maxx. In an effort to influence her thinking we told her we were pulling up stakes and moving downtown. The fresh air helped and our favorite sports bar was beckoned. We honored tradition and texted a photo of us from that field of honor to the Pittsburgh Friend.
Proof that She Left TJ Maxx
My wife always claims to be in the checkout line whenever we call for extraction and this declaration is always met with a certain amount of doubt by those of us waiting for her. Last night she texted selfies with both the checkout girl and from the parking lot to prove she did in fact leave and was enroute to our location. We eventually found her waiting for us across the street at Margarita’s.
At Margarita's With Soft Drinks
Margarita’s was uncharacteristically mobbed last night but emptied shortly after we walked in. I’m willing to opine that it had nothing to do with our arrival and more to do with the 8pm show starting at the Colonial Theater almost next door. At least that’s what I choose to believe. My wife was in for the shock of her life when we sat down and I ordered a soft drink instead of beer for our dinner. She took a picture to commemorate the momentous event. An afternoon of drinking the much more potent Elm City brews rather than my usual watered down light beer had everything to do with that decision.

So another thunder run is in the books and even Keene Friend’s college student neighbors were incapable of making enough noise to keep us awake after our respective efforts. Keene Friend was the perfect host as usual and it was so good spending yet another complete day in what will always be my home, surrounded by friends. I cannot close without a selection of today’s photos of the perfection currently working on her first moth out in too distant California. 
So Mom What's Going on in the Kitchen

This is More Fun

Already a Devastating Smile

Too Cute
   

No comments:

Post a Comment