Saturday, December 19, 2015

Friday Fiesta Time

Since becoming civilians we usually host a fairly big Christmas party (see yesterday’s post) involving friends and neighbors. The drastically reduced size of the house we’re now in militated against our usual robust effort. We thought we were going to forgo it completely until the Christmas bug hit and we found we missed the opportunity to gather with friends to share the season.
Charlton Neighbors and Mafia with My Wife Last Night
I did manage to achieve an abbreviated celebration of the First Friday of the Week which will mark the final edition for 2015 since I didn’t think my wife would understand a visit to Brew City on Christmas Day. I returned home to find my wife in full party prep mode which is not a safe environment to anyone she happens to be married to. I tried to make myself as useful as possible – the only weapon effective in these type situations.
Mafia in the Dining Room
We scaled the party back with the smaller house but it wouldn’t seem like Christmas without our old neighbors from Charlton. They apparently were feeling the same thing (missing our annual Christmas party) and were more than willing to drive into Worcester to join us. We added the usual dose of Panamanian mafia and very nice gathering resulted. While the adults gathered around a couple tables and enjoyed each other’s company the kids quickly established friendships with the neighborhood kids and disappeared into the warm for December night. It was the benefit I remembered growing up in an actual neighborhood – there were always other kids to hang out with.

It was kind of jarring to see the young neighbor boy who was my granddaughter’s current age when we moved to Charlton. He experienced a growth spurt over the past few months and is rapidly approaching my height. He’s well on his way to becoming the fine young man I knew he was going to be from our first meeting. We received detailed updates on the people we sold the house to whom apparently are not living up to the high standards we established. It was truly wonderful to reunite with these great people.


So the Christmas week is off to a rollicking start thanks to the blessing of friends. We fill the family part (at least partially) this afternoon when we head north to New Hampshire for a party at my son’s house. I still find my gaze turning west and regretting the distance a certain three Californians will be from us over the next week. At least the daily dose of granddaughter pictures goes a little way assuaging that persistent ache. 
First Blog Reader this Morning with Guardian Cat

Yes, My Grandfather is Right - I Am Cute! 
First of Hopefully Many Books in her Futute

Yep, Too Cute

No comments:

Post a Comment