Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Solitariness & Assassins

It was a little disconcerting to have the house empty out as dramatically as it did yesterday. My wife, the PanaGals, and the next door Mafioso all headed out for an overnight trip to New York City. This was one of the visiting PanaGals’ largest lifelong dreams. It did result in a decibel free house for the first time since we moved in which I found a little confounding. Buddy did his part in being entertaining but I missed the almost non-stop chatter that has become the norm since the PanaGals arrived a couple weeks ago.
PanaGals Loose in New York
They didn’t waste any time upon arriving in the Big Apple. As soon as they got into their hotel my wife called me in the office and asked for directions to Macy’s, since she’d forgotten a planned shirt. I’m not sure how that happened (although I have my suspicions) since she spent the normal three days packing for the trip. They were going to attempt a linkup with my daughter who’s in New York for the week but this fell victim to the shopping craze and the attendant failure to monitor cell phone messages.
Seems Like an Old Friend is Moving Away
In a season where the Red Sox are attempting to set new records for futility they apparently have a need to see how low a nadir they can obtain. Yesterday it leaked out that they were firing their long time TV announcer, Don Orsillo, at the end of the season. This reeks of total disassociation from the fan base who idolize Orsillo. He truly was the voice of the Red Sox during their most successful era, the last two years notwithstanding. I always thought the only way he would leave would be for a national network type job because he was that good. Whenever I see other announcer, including many of the national level guys, they fall short of his professionalism. This year he was practicably the only thing worth tuning into a Sox game for. Shame, shame on whoever made this decision.

I used my dateless date night to see the movie Hitman: Agent 47 since there was no need to address delicate sensibilities. I guess this is based on a popular video game of which I am blissfully unaware, a signature difference between baby boomers and millennials. Since this movie was about a bio-engineered super assassin there was the attendant carnage but it was practically bloodless, despite the state of the art CGI splatters.
I liked the two lead actors, especially the title character. He was supposed to be an emotionless automaton but he was a good enough actor to add a bit of character which made him likable. Young Spock showed up to suck up bullets and knife thrusts in true Hero fashion. Despite the body count, this was harmless fun and I enjoyed the ride. Just check your need for a greater meaning at the door.
Since I lacked proper supervision at home I stayed up way after midnight watching (you guessed it) another movie. I own over a thousand movies but can never decide which one to watch. I tried a new technique last night where I don’t turn on the lights and just touch a movie on a random shelf. I ended up back in a post-apocalyptic world with Denzel in The Book of Eli. After this trip, since I was already up and now only five minutes away I decided to check up on the workman’s comp people I have working light duty on the 11-7 shift. I’m guessing they were surprised to see me at half past midnight, especially the guy I found asleep on the couch.

Finally the Wingman sent some more pictures of his trip to the Shire in New Zealand. I’m jealous on a level only another true geek could possibly understand. 




No comments:

Post a Comment