Monday, August 31, 2015

Returns and Some More Uncoiling

I awoke yesterday with the daunting task of abandoning my home town and the company of Keene Friend and Cantankerous Friend. While I was more than satisfied with the amount of time and conversation both of them were gracious enough to send my way I never want to let go of times like this. They can’t become fond memories if you refuse to let them end. Unfortunately life intrudes with its onward march. We did get together for breakfast before we went our separate ways and reconstructed some of the events from late Saturday night, a task fraught with peril for yours truly.
Panamanians in Maine
Buddy exacted his obligatory walk around town from the Keene Friend, something he’s come to expect and will not calm down until leashed. Part of my reticence about leaving was the knowledge I was heading home to an empty house as the Panamanians continued their depredations in the Great White North. Buddy took up position with his nose into the wind, never expecting a bath was waiting him at home. When the house is empty I try and keep busy with chores, Buddy’s unwelcome dousing was part of that effort.
PanaGals in the Great White North

My Wife Between a PanaGal and the Next Door Mafioso
The Panamanian called in the early afternoon to report they had escaped from Maine ahead of the usual Sunday traffic and were only a few miles away. They had chosen to take a rest room break at a local mall (method to that I’m sure). Six hours later they finally wandered in, exhausted from their own fun weekend running around Northern Maine with the Maine Musquetera. I received a breathless, blow by blow account of their adventures from my favorite Panamanian. I semi-listened, just enjoying the company as this tiny person once again filled up my life.

At The Table with the Maine Musquetera
It has been a bad week in the shuffling of the mortal coil department. We lost not only the Cantankerous One’s mom but noted authors Oliver Sacks and Wayne Dyer, horror filmmaker Wes Craven, and I learned this morning one of the most prominent personalities of my high school class as well. We were in the same home room throughout high school. I hadn’t seen her in nearly forty years until a class reunion a few years back and she was truly the life of the party. Her quick wit and brash spirit even backed the Cantankerous One up at times. She’ll be missed.
R.I.P.
Gone Too Soon

No comments:

Post a Comment