Saturday, August 8, 2015

Anniversary Deluge

My Favorite Picture From that Weekend
This will be a weekend of anniversaries, literally. Both of my children chose this weekend, 5 years apart, to get married. While I sprint headlong towards my dotage this will make remembering these dates a whole lot easier. I’m not sure that’s what they had in mind when they chose the dates – but it works. First up are Cali-Daughter and the Wingman, who married 6 years ago today during what was called up until last year as the Best Weekend Ever.
Last year’s events conspired to raise a co-champion in the best weekend ever category.
I still remember that weekend as filled with friends and family and soaring emotions. My daughter was so happy and cruised through the weekend with such grace and beauty. When I walked her down the aisle I wasn’t prepared for the emotions that surged when the church doors opened as I found myself struggling with emotion. Wingman understood I wasn’t emotional because I was losing a daughter but for the reason I was so happy for the two of them finding each other. It was a father daughter kind of thing.
They are in the midst of starting the next great adventure on their sixth anniversary as their first child awaits a November introduction (yet another family tradition). Wingman recently returned to L.A. and they motored over to Las Vegas for the weekend to celebrate their anniversary. They traveled with the well wishes and prayers of everybody who was with them for that magical weekend six all too short years ago.
It’s unfortunate how some memories fade with the passage of time but thankfully the really special ones find a special niche up in the gray matter defying diminishment. The first of the Best Weekends ever certainly belong in that classification. I think it has something to do with how often the memory is called upon. If that is in fact the case, that weekend in Charlton and Sturbridge six years ago will remain as fresh and vibrant as it currently is for years to come.

Happy Anniversary Cali-Daughter and Wingman!  You truly and essentially rock! 



A More Recent Photo of the Parents to Be

No comments:

Post a Comment