Friday, August 7, 2015

Semi Aquatic Wife Day and a Blindside Block

The Water Park Gang
The wife took advantage of yet another perfect New England summer day yesterday by joining the next door Mafioso along with her daughter and grandchildren for a trip to a water park. I was a little surprised that my wife would avail herself of this opportunity because water temperatures native New Englanders consider balmy my favorite Panamanian claims must be straight from the Arctic. Predictably I received a call from her half way through the day reporting the water was way too cold to swim in. I asked her if the accompanying kids were of the same opinion. They had yet to leave the water since arriving and she was going to leave the gamboling to them. She was having a fantastic time though engaging in her favorite pastime – conversing. She and her fellow Panamanian spent the day watching the kids cavort and talking the day away.  
Pool Beauties - My Wife (l) and the Next Door Mafioso
The water park (which has THE most annoying TV commercials – a true mute button decision point) was perilously close to Portsmouth and my favorite son. Unfortunately he was working in Boston and unavailable even after work due to a volleyball came with the ABFA. She took this stiff arm with grace and squired the accompanying pack of neighbors to a restaurant in Portsmouth that is justifiably famous as the place the favorite son (who did provide parking advice) met the ABFA for the first time (so - hallowed ground).
How do You Not Partake?

Seriously!
Some great news yesterday from Panama as one of my wife’s favorite aunts, and incidentally one of the nicest people ever, tied the knot with her longtime boyfriend. They’d been together for more than a decade, both widowed, and perfect for each other. Heartfelt congratulations to the happy couple who deserve every happiness. Just another reason to celebrate, not that we needed another, on the next trip to Panama. 

The Newlyweds at Their Civil Ceremony
I have reported in the past the absolute awe in which I hold most authors. I’ve been an avid reader for as long as I can remember, a legacy from my late mother who grew up in a library. Since I’ve been scribbling my nonsensical ramblings here for the last few years I’ve acquired an even deeper respect for the masters of the craft. They seem to easily produce what I sometimes struggle at mightily. It was therefore with not a little bit of astonishment that Lawrence Block himself responded to one of my blog posts earlier this week where I reported my newfound fascination with his novels and flawed hero Matthew Scudder. I think it’s so cool that a seriously successful author took some time out to connect with one of his fans.  Lawrence Block August 6, 2015 at 9:33 AM “Good to hear—and there are enough of them to keep you going for a while!”
Mr. Block - Thanks Dude!

No comments:

Post a Comment