Sunday, June 7, 2015

Processing

Yesterday was one of the few free days we have left on a weekend at the house before we’re supposed to move so you can imagine what we were up to. I wrote a few weeks ago about my wife’s attachment (some would say unreasonable – not me, mind you) to a couple bathroom mirrors. A quick trip to the Depot produced replacement mirrors which cost even more than the mirrors they are replacing but this makes sense in some universe (not sure which). I was a little nervous mounting the mirrors because I’ve heard they can be kind of fragile and I have a well-earned reputation for breaking things. My wife was more than ready to remind me (repeatedly) of that repute as we made our way home.
Miraculously Unbroken and Mounted
The mirror mounting went a little better than I hoped. After replacing all batteries in the smoke detectors and installing yet another carbon monoxide detector that the People’s Republic of Taxachusetts now requires I took a small break to watch the Red Sox game. Buddy joined me on the couch. He seems to sense something big is in the offing and didn’t want to leave my side yesterday. Of course I could just be reading more into his usual freak out when he hears the smoke alarms go off.
My Faithful Assistant Insuring I do Nothing Without Him
My wife felt I was seriously delusional if I thought she had the strength to help me dismount my television from the wall – the big event of the weekend. She demanded I ask our superb next door neighbor to assist with the deed. Swallowing my unreasonable pride I invited him over between periods of the Stanley Cup Finals game (he’s from Chicago and a huge Blackhawks fan). I watched the television be mounted and always thought it was going to be easy. This is the danger of watching professionals do something with ease and delude oneself.
It turned out it wasn’t that simple but we eventually discovered the release switches that had to be pulled to release the mounting bracket. The television went silent a couple times which was mildly concerning but after ten minutes of wrestling we had the beast on the stand just as the second period started and the kind neighbor hurried back to his own house. There was no way my wife could have held up one side of this thing, pride being what it is I may someday reveal that opinion to her.

Miraculously Unbroken and Dismounted
Today promises to be a lot of fun. I am blessed with the best brother in laws in the Western World and he gave us two tickets to Fenway to watch the Sox today. We’re trying something new and using the MBTA commuter train from Worcester to reach the game. I know this sounds strange, an American actually choosing to use Mass Transit outside of New York City. The Red Sox have won two in a row so I’m not overly optimistic about their chances today but everyone should see a game at Fenway at some point in their life and I’ve been blessed with dozens. It will also be a nice break from processing the house for disposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment