Friday, June 5, 2015

P&S Day

For some reason I’ve always had in the back of mind that the house sale would fall apart at the last minute and we would remain in the house. Those thoughts were brought up a little short yesterday when we signed the purchase and sales agreement on the house after the respective lawyers finished their habitual jousting match. It kind of jolted me back to reality and attendant magical thinking. It also lit the proverbial fire under my butt to get moving on the dozens of phone calls involved in making a modern move.
Signed and Sealed
Since we are irrevocably tied to our electronic umbilical cord the first call was to our cable company which also handles our internet and phone service. I professed undying loyalty and they facilitated setting up the move. Not only will we keep the same, overly robust cable package (all movie and sports channels), but they’re going to upgrade the setup, charge nothing for the move, and reduce my monthly bill by $60. I think they’re hearing some Direct TV footsteps, luckily they can still depend on old fogies such as myself not ready to explore the expanding options available.
R.I.P. Oscar
I spoke with my cousin last night who lost his beloved dog this past week. He was having trouble breathing and a visit to the vet’s revealed a fast growing throat tumor and that was all she wrote. Only a dog owner appreciates how painful it is to lose a cherished companion suddenly and I know my cousin is hurting. My family, especially on my father’s side, has always been canine enthusiasts. I cannot remember a Thanksgiving or other family get together from my earliest days that didn’t have a couple dogs charging through.
We also finally tracked down Wingman for delayed congratulations on his birthday. He definitely sounded like he was in recovery mode from his birthday celebration with New York friends the night before. This is, of course, exactly how it should be.

Finally my favorite son called during his commute home to report on progress on his new homestead where even the grass is starting to turn green. He and ABFA seem to have everything under control although he did ask about some missing Lego figurines from our weekend delivery of his childhood cache. I honestly think he fears we are hording them but I offered him unrestricted inspection of remaining articles in the basement. He was a true Lego maniac growing up which in turn led to his chosen career as an engineer so he can continue to build things.  He and the ABFA may even swing by for a visit this weekend which is intensely cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment