Friday, June 12, 2015

Contraction Amidst Cinematic Friend News

A new Supply for My Wife's Voracious Appetite
The contraction of our household goods continued at home yesterday as my wife worked all day thrusting our possessions into boxes. She was exhausted when I came home but she’s made it into the kitchen where some of the most careful packing needs to occur. She obviously paid attention over the years during our multiple moves when professionals came into to pack everything in sight (even the cat if not fleet enough of foot). I was rightfully excluded from packing the kitchen since so many of the items are made of glass; thus my lifelong plan of carefully cultivated destructive tendencies came to fruition. Both my wife and I are left with an immense amount of respect for the professionals who used to pack the entire house up in one long day. I had to run out for some more boxes as the frenzied packing by my wife had eradicated our healthy supply.
The Canyons Grow
Who Knew?!
The house failed the fire inspection yesterday which is required prior to selling a house in Massachusetts. I never knew that smoke detectors had an expiration date. I know these detectors still work due to my wife’s well known infamy with fried foods. I thought they lasted forever as long as you dutifully replaced batteries which I’ve done. I guess I should have paid attention to the dates prominently displayed on the battery cover. Saturday will involve replacing seven of the damn things to get ready for re-inspection. My wife is excited about the re-inspection because the inspector apparently made a real impression on her (I may show up as well).
My First Scare R.I.P. Old Friend
There was a passing of note of an old cinematic friend yesterday when Sir Christopher Lee passed away at the age of 93. While everyone says Bela Lugosi is the ultimate Dracula, it was always Lee for me from the campy Hammer films of the 1960s. Lee terrorized the young version of myself as I sat in the Colonial Theater back home watching his death stare between closed fingers. He started me on a lifelong love of being scared in the movies. He’s been part of the cinematic landscape ever since and achieved fame with the current generation with his turns in Star Wars and then Lord of the Rings. So goodbye old friend, thanks for all the chills.
I finally reacquainted myself with a much younger brand of film friends when I went to see Entourage last night. I went in with a little restraint because the last couple seasons of the television show were horrible. It’s sad when a favorite shown descends into mediocrity and I was interested to see if the movie could recapture some of the whimsical charm of the first seasons. They did.

The boys have all grown up a little, well except for Drama, and Ari was toned down a bit to save his marriage. The plot involves Vinny Chase directing his first movie using Ari’s money. The briefly clad females and most of the original characters are all back swirling in Vinnie Chase’s wake. This was a real cameo-a-palooza where virtually everybody in Hollywood stops by for a few seconds. Ronda Rousey has a bit part because that seems to be almost required nowadays. The best part of the recaptured charm though was the relentless attack on the overwhelming pretention of the movie business which rang so true. It was a nice escape for a couple hours before returning to our rapidly growing cardboard canyons.

No comments:

Post a Comment