Thursday, June 25, 2015

Last Rides

Yesterday was every bit as long as I feared/hoped. The fear part came from being locked in a room with the union leadership as we hammered out some of the final and most delicate issues of a new contract. I’m about to go into a meeting with the entire union executive committee where they’ll get their first look at what their negotiating team has worked out with us. This could be an interesting day.
Buddy in his Old Room
The hope part came in one of my last trips to Charlton. I’m a certified goof when it comes to dogs in general and Buddy the Wonder Pooch specifically. I thought it would be a good idea to take him along with me as we clean the final evidence of out residence out of the old homestead. I felt his accompaniment was appropriate since most of the evidence I’m speaking of came off his hide – namely mountains of black fur. His contribution to the cleaning effort was a massive bowel movement he executed in his old stomping grounds immediately upon arriving. One of our fantastic neighbors was helping out with the cleaning effort and her son was singularly impressed with Buddy’s effort.
Didn't There Used to be a Couch Here?
My wife has decreed we have to completely clean the house because apparently it’s important for the new owners to be able to eat off the floors. I’m not sure I agree or even approve but again my 49% of the vote only goes so far. I did get my last ride of my favorite toy – the riding lawn mower which the new owners asked for in the sale. As I rode the familiar landscape for one last time on another of those perfect New England summer days I decided I had been remiss in failing to name this reliable old steed. I even gave it a final bath after completing the last ride.
The Last Mowing
We had planned to do some spot painting but the week’s worth of moving effort finally caught up with us after dinner at an old favorite restaurant. We contented ourselves with figuring out how to fit all the pictures and paintings we had to transport in both of our cars along with our resident supervisor, Buddy. My wife had a more cautious approach than my initial load out plan called for which was a good thing considering all the glass involved. In the end everything made it into the cars although Buddy was left hanging out the window on one side – something he absolutely loved (at least until we hit the interstate). We made it back to the new abode just in time to see that rarest of events this summer – a Red Sox win!

We also talked with our favorite son who reported on the ABFA’s somewhat suspect attempts at barefoot volleyball not on a beach. Even a prodigious athlete such as she was a little daunted by the physical requirements ensuing from a forgotten pair of sneakers. The most endearing news though emanated from California where our daughter casually mentioned in the midst of providing vacuum purchasing advice that our future grandchild was now kicking (taking after his dad – see yesterday’s post).

No comments:

Post a Comment