Sunday, June 14, 2015

Packing In Saturday

A late post today because I was up very early for the company picnic, more on that adventure tomorrow.  Yesterday was the last full day available before the move so there was a lot going on. I was out early because on top of everything else going on I had to get my car inspected. I’ll miss having the friendly neighborhood mechanic I’ve established a relationship with here in Charlton. I was in and out after a short wait but the delay gave me an opportunity to appreciate what a truly fantastic New England summer day it was. Of course I was not destined to avail myself of the ambiance; I was fated for extended basement time.
My next stop was the Home Depot for the seven new smoke alarms the fire department decreed that my house needed before it could be pronounced safe to sell. While I was there I wandered down one of the cavernous aisles to discover that Home Depot also sells boxes, and for a lot less than where we’ve been buying. The only challenge was negotiating the Saturday crowd to the checkout line with the unwieldy cargo.
The New Supply of Boxes Staged for Packing
Before executing (poor choice of word  that) my smoke alarm rewiring I taped the boxes together which provided a rich reservoir for my wife and my efforts for the rest of the day. My electrical aptitude was last instructed in the 7th grade and not all that successfully, so throw in a few decades of watching This Old House I pronounced myself ready to rewire the alarms. My wife was nervously vigilant as I mounted the ladder to change out the alarms. The only casualty of my efforts was Buddy’s thinly held sanity which rapidly transformed into full melt down mode with the repeated alarms going off.
Re-Wiring the Smoke Alarms
The rest of the day was spent in the basement where I finished off the residue of the required packing while my wife attacked the second floor bedrooms. The seemingly generous supply of boxes dwindled throughout the afternoon. The basement involved finding items that hadn’t been touched in years but still retained the ability to evoke emotion as they called to memory past times when two children admirably haunted the environs. By the end of the day what wasn’t packed was consigned to the dust bins of history which in this case involved some rather extended trash bags.

The Basement Finally Packed
We had a secret to rescue what would have been a day of complete drudgery. A couple of friends had arranged to take us out for dinner as kind of a going away gesture since we’ll be moving out of the same general area we both reside. They’re also members in good standing of the Latin Mafia which insured a good time would be had. They treated us to dinner at a local restaurant and then we joined them at their beautiful house for some post dinner libations. The wife shares my own wife’s passion for gardening and she’s established a truly remarkable series of flower gardens which we toured as the sun faded. It was exactly the kind of time needed after the day’s exertions and a reminder of what is truly important in life, friends.
Dinner With Great Friends - Perfect Way to End the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment