Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Closing In

Well, we’re no longer home owners. The seemingly endless road from the point we decided to sell the house ended with a whimper yesterday. We were on the phone with our favorite son when he asked if the closing happened or not. My wife and I looked at each other with a similar expression – “yeah that’s something we should check on”. We’ve been so consumed with the requirements of setting up the new house that we weren’t paying attention. Our lawyer was signing everything for us so we didn’t have to attend the closing.
No Longer Ours
A quick check of my email indicated the sale went down without a hitch so the house upon the hill is no longer in our names. Like I said, a whimper instead of a bang but I think that’s an indication that both my wife and I had moved on. The house will always serve as a repository of some of the most important memories of my post Army life but ultimately it didn’t fulfil what we hoped which was local kids with local grandchildren. Life has an immutable rule - “no plan survives contact with the enemy”; the enemy being time itself. Two very independent children evolved into far flung adults that will require some modifications to the central location idea. The move to Worcester is the first step in the subsequent plan. I’m still going to miss the country night sky with the stars close enough to touch but certainly not the driveway form hell.
Organized Garage - Entrance No Longer Requiring Lubricants
Work continued apace yesterday in the settling in phase. My wife has just about completed the setup of the three guest bedrooms but is still trying to figure out what to do with all the extra linen since this house doesn’t have the spacious linen closet of the house on the hill. I finally got around to the garage which was chockablock full of debris from the move and sundry other sources. I hung up a couple leftover storage strips that allowed me to hang a lot of garden implements on the wall which helped a lot. We can now get my wife’s car into the garage without having to grease the sides.

Cali-Daughter Last Night Heading Out to Dinner with Recently Returned Wingman
Blog Reader Bump Evident
We both finished in enough time to actually sit down and watch a Red Sox game for the first time in what seems like weeks; not that we’ve missed that much. At least we all get a whole extra second at midnight tonight as the earth is slowing down its rotation, so we’ve got that going for us. Now all we have to do is hang a couple dozen pictures and the move will be complete; that extra second is going to come in handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment