Friday, December 5, 2014

Wingman Lands Amidst False Car Alarms

The Wingman has landed in Cali - forn –nye-ay commencing the great move west by my eldest child.  My wife and I caught up with him last night when he answered the phone from Ikea.  He had a very productive day in that he woke up in New York City, flew to L.A., signed his rental agreement, got the internet set up in the apartment, turned on the electric and gas – and then went furniture shopping.  I got tired just listening to him recount his adventures.
Wingman and Daughter's New Digs
The good news is he loves the apartment which they rented sight unseen (other than by a very perceptive friend).  He said he loved the feeling of finally getting a place that was exclusively for him and my daughter.  The pods show up today and he’s got a couple of friends lined up to help him unload.  I have to compliment my daughter on her tactical delay in arrival, avoiding this entire nuisance (she learned something about moving as an Army brat).  Wingman also related when he went so get the gas turned on, the guy across the counter was someone he went to school with – a sign he was returning home.  He sounded exhausted but supremely happy to be freed of the Big Apple’s frozen environment.  We’re so happy for both of them – there’s even a few palm trees on their street.
My Daughter on Mulholland Drive From an Earlier Visit
Earlier in the day I received a frantic call from my wife just as I was going into a meeting (she has that innate skill in timing her emergency calls).  She claimed the car (actually my car since I’m in the rental doing penance for idiocy) had broken down.  She was in the town CVS parking lot after smelling a strong gasoline odor and then spotting a mysterious warning light on the dash board.  I gave her the AAA number and frantically tried to figure out a way to shorten the meeting so I could get to her location.  All through the meeting I was worst casing the impact to the bank account right in time for Christmas.
I came out of the abbreviated meeting fifteen minutes later to another call from her stating the emergency was over.  She was in a two car convoy headed for the mall with a neighbor lady who my wife was going to introduce to the wonderful world of Clinique (don’t ask).  The other lady returned after my wife pulled over and said she smelled the same gasoline odor when driving through the area.  She also identified the mysterious warning light as the indicator the headlights were on.  My wife sheepishly admitted she’d already called AAA to cancel the tow.  So this was a win-win situation since the “emergency” also significantly shortened my meeting.  By the end of the day the whole thing was my fault for forcing her to drive a strange car (some things you just keep paying for).


As a further penance I took her to see Mockingjay Part One since she missed out on last weekend’s viewing.  The movie didn’t get any better but now I’ve got that damned song “Coming to the Hanging Tree” stuck in my head, to the consternation of my wife who was forced to listen while I was in the shower this morning (call it revenge if you will).  The sound of my singing voice is definitely something you do not want to wake up to – horror movies have been made from less.  It is of course, the First Friday of the Week and the sun will soon be over the yardarm (somewhere).

No comments:

Post a Comment