Saturday, December 6, 2014

That Keeps on Giving

My wife is fairly superstitious by modern standards – something I always kid her about.  I’m now beginning to wonder if she might be on to something.  I think I may be cursed when it comes to my idiotic backing up accident a few weeks ago.  The initial three day repair stretched to twelve days and more than tripled in cost from the first estimate, not to mention the damage to my son’s car.  Yesterday I got the call that the car was ready for pickup so I enthusiastically divested myself of the Corolla I was performing penance with over the last twelve days and picked a shiny, seemingly new car.
Before

After
They did a fantastic job and even did what they called a “5-star cleaning” which had my wife all giddy with delight.  I don't think she'll drive it again - just admire how clean it is.  I felt this was the end of the whole episode and stopped by Brew City with some co-workers to pray at the altar of the First Friday.  It was an interesting time since our excellent boss couldn’t make it due to pesky wedding anniversary responsibilities.  It allowed the rest of us to range further afield with observations and really dissect the week past.  Naah – we just drank some beer and celebrated the arrival of the weekend.

I was making my way home when the curse struck.  I looked up and noticed there was no garage door opener – I left it in the rental car!  There seems to be no limit to my idiocy when it comes to this whole episode.  I frantically called the rental office when I got home and they said the car had already been rented out again but they did have a garage door opener in their lost and found.  I’m leaving for there as soon as I post this with fingers firmly crossed – such a bonehead move and I had thoroughly searched the car before turning it in – but people never look up.

My Wife Said it Was My Turn to Have the Zorba's Picture Taken
I think my wife is enjoying my descent into near madness with this whole affair but she did get a serious look on her face when I said I was cursed.  She considers that a real possibility.  Some of Zorba’s prime rib more than assuaged my feeling of inadequacy and my wife’s running dialogue on the state of the world returned some normalcy.  We ended the night with a phone call from our daughter who updated us on Wingman’s progress in California while she enjoyed some Curbside diversion.  Now I have to go get that damned remote – pray for me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment