Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Evil, a Wicked Right Cross, and Runner Up in the Red Sea

The people and military of Pakistan are in my prayers today for the price they paid yesterday for confronting evil.  The Taliban attack targeting the children in a military grade school is far beyond the pale and clearly indicates the depths of evil present in that medieval group of sub-humans.  The political forces within Pakistan have long sought to negotiate and conciliate a settlement with these barbarians.  I hope they now realize something we’ve known for the last decade - these people cannot be reasoned with or appeased.  They are vermin incapable of existing in a twenty-first century civilized society.  They must be excised.  The rest of society will be safe only when they are dead.  I hope the Pakistanis also take a long look at continuing to allow the Saudi “educators” to fill up their madrasas spewing their virulent form of hatred that funnels the young cannon fodder for the Taliban to exploit.  Enough.
Are My Reflexes Going?
I re-learned another hard lesson last night.  Buddy the Wonder Pooch has a wicked right cross. I was safely ensconced in Couch Potato Position #1 when he announced his nightly demand for “play time”.  This usually starts with a loud discussion between the two of us that has my wife’s eyes constantly searching the ceiling.  She doesn’t understand the depths of negotiation required between a man and his dog before actual hostilities commence.  Play time usually has us rolling around the carpet as I try to keep my face protected from Buddy’s flying paws.  Yesterday he took a page right out of Patton’s playbook when he hit me as I was somewhat inelegantly getting up from the couch.  I tried to snap my head back when I saw the right cross coming in but he was just too quick.  I tried to hide it from my wife but she was soon lathering me with several forms of antibiotics combined with the attendant lecture on my lack of maturity to wrestle with dogs at my age (she’ll never understand how much fun it is).  At least the mark will give my subordinates something to kid me about this morning in the staff meeting – so I’ve got that going for me.

Date night saw us checking out Exodus:  Gods and Kings, the latest Ridley Scott opus.  Any movie that takes on this story, at least from my generation, will find itself compared to Cecil B DeMille’s The Ten Commandments which this new version finishes a distant second to.  Scott does epic as well as any modern director and the sweeping exterior shots were all I hoped for.  The crucial relationship between Ramses and Moses fell completely flat.  Both actors, Christian Bale and Joel Edgerton, looked completely out of place and uncomfortable in the period garb their parts called for.  Edgerton especially looked completely lost and decidedly unregal.  It would be next to impossible to beat Yul Brynner in that category anyways.  Bale had an even tougher job trying to live up to Charlton Heston and again he fell way short.

The supporting cast was as good as the leads were bad.  Who knew Jesse could be a convincing Joshua!?  The movie is saved by the sheer spectacle which made it watchable.  This was interesting but sad when you think of all the money spent and that it was done so much better, on all levels, more than sixty years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment